Saturday, October 21, 2017

The Long Travel Day

Saturday, Oct. 28, 2017--Puerto Lopez to Quito

The day started at 3:40 when I got up.  At 4:20, I left the hotel and caught a mototaxi (tricycle taxi which is called a tuk tuk in Asia).  The bus left at 5:00 and took 10 1/2 hours to get to Quitumbe Terminal in far southern Quito.  I left my seat only once to go to the bathroom when we stopped for gas.  Then I had to take a Trolebus, one of their rapid bus transit lines in Quito to get from the terminal to my apartment.  I was here about 16:45-about 13 house after getting up.

The approach into Quito was beautiful.  We climbed and climbed up tall green mountains until eventually we entered the clouds.  As we came over the pass and started our way down into Quito, the sun came out.

My apartment here is very nice and is located in the old town, a World Heritage Site where most of the attractions are located.  It is a huge apartment in an attractive colonial building with arched windows providing lots of light.

As soon as I got checked in, I went grocery shopping at a small supermarket about 3 blocks away.  I made a simple pasta dish for tonight because I am so tired.  It's only 20:30, but I think it is time for going to bed.

No comments: