Thursday, October 26, 2017

Seeing a Few Final Sights

Thursday, Oct. 26, 2017--Quito

I think I slept better last night, and I am sure I feel a bit better and have more energy today.  I am hoping that a big change will be obvious tonight and tomorrow, since I take my last antibiotic pill tomorrow.

My first stop today was the Museo Archivo de Architectivo de Ecuador.  It is the local architecture museum. They have a large exhibition on Corbussier who designed some of the furniture I have.  The exhibit, however, concentrated on photos and sketches from his travels that he used to hone his craft.

From there, I went to the Iglesia de San Francisco, one of the best churches in town.  It has unbelievably beautiful and ornate ceilings and an impressive golden alter.  From the sidewalk in front of the church there are fantastic views across the city and to the green mountains beyond.

Next to the church, I saw the Cantuna Chapel which is smaller, but also impressive.  It is only open on Sundays and Thursdays, so I waited until today to see them together.

I walked by a couple of other places, but one was unimpressive and the other was closed.  So I just wandered around.  A huge rally was forming on the main plaza, and huge crowds of people were marching for blocks down the street from my apartment to join it.  It was obviously political.  Maybe elections are scheduled soon.

I heard something disturbing this afternoon.  A father was fussing and started whipping his young daughter.  What was especially upsetting about it was that the uproar continued for 20 minutes with 4 different sessions of spankings accompanied by yelling from him and screaming by her.  What could have been so bad?

2 comments:

Charles C Hagaman said...

Just another WordPress site get redirected here

dinowends said...

Admiring the time and effort you put into your blog and in depth information you present. It's great to come across a blog every once in a while that isn't the same old rehashed information. Great read! I've saved your site and I'm including your RSS feeds to my Google account. best travel guidebooks