Monday, October 09, 2017

Beautiful, Lazy Day

Monday, Oct. 8, 2017--Vilcabamba

After being so tired and sleepy, I went to bed last night at 19:30.  Then I awoke at 2:00 and couldn't go back to sleep.  I opened my Kindle and read for 30-45 minutes.  Then, I went back to sleep and slept until 7:30.  The result is that I feel great and rested today.

I delayed breakfast until 9:30 by reading the news and my email before bathing.  As had been reported in reviews, the breakfast was good.  Unlimited coffee, a choice between eggs and oatmeal, mixed fruit salad, freshly made brown bread, butter, jam, and a glass of fresh juice.  My only complaint is that the bread lacked something to increase its flavor--maybe some sugar, since being healthy is such an important aspect of life here.  Anyway, I sat at one of the outdoor tables looking through the flowery jungle gardens of the resort to the distant mountains.  And after eating, I had another cup of coffee there as I sat and read.

Back by the room, I climbed into the hammock with a view of the valley and the town below (because of the extra height), and finished reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.  Although the writing was rather simple (and, therefore, very easy to read), I thoroughly enjoyed the story.  It really resonated with me due to a belief that I have had for some time--that the Religious Right will not be satisfied until they can force everyone to live the way they tell them to live.  The irony of this is that it would create an America that would be the equivalent of a country that the Religious Right considers to be one of the worst in the world--Iran.  An America where everyone had to live their lives the way the Religious Right believe would be an America without freedom.  It would be a theocracy--the Christian Republic of America (and just as bad as the Islamic Republic of Iran for its citizens).  The book is about a period in time when such an event has happened in the US and their rule includes a few adjustments in what the Bible says to accommodate how the Religious Right want to control people in ways not really specified the way they would prefer.  I gave the book 4 stars out of 5.

Just before noon, I headed into town.  Although I wore shorts, I didn't think to take my cap.  The sun was so bright that I had to shade my forehead and nose with my hand.  It was more quiet than yesterday, yet there were still people milling around. 

After wandering for a while, I sat in the shade at the main plaza.  I watched people for some time, then I started a new book of short stories.  Eventually, I took a hike out of town into the edge of the mountains. 

I returned to the plaza after  that and read another short story.  Then, at 14:30, I went to a restaurant for lunch.  I wasn't really hungry enough, but I knew that they might stop serving soon. My main dish was pollo estafado, a chicken breast with a nice sauce on it.

Returning back to Madre Tierra, I saw a big fire on an opposite mountain.  I could see at least one house on fire, and the lady here said that there is also a hotel within the area of the smoke.  I am in the hammock facing the area now, and there is only smoke remaining.  The flames have been extinguished. The lady said there had been a similar fire on another mountain last week due to the dryness combined with windy conditions. 

It is late afternoon now.  My stomach is stuffed.  I will stay on the patio and in my room for the rest of the evening.  Some clouds are building up; it would be nice to have a thunderstorm and watch it.  Maybe I will watch a Netflix film instead.

No comments: