Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Loja

Wednesday, Oct. 11, 2017--Vilcabamba to Loja

There was no rush this morning.  It is only about an hour and a half between Vilcabamba and Loja.  I didn't go to breakfast until 9:00.  There were only two tables of guests--me and two young couples who have been there every day I have.  I relaxed and enjoyed the food as usual.  They play very mellow new age music on the patio which enhances the atmosphere and the enjoyment of the food.

I read in the hammock until 10:30, then I headed down the hill to reception and checked out.  I walked the short distance to the highway, crossed it, and waited for a bus.  One came within 5 minutes.

Once we entered town here, I followed our route using GPS on the phone.  I got off the bus where everyone else did who was going downtown.  It was about 6 blocks from my hotel.  Right at noon, I entered the lobby.

The Saraguro Hotel is not the best, but I had few choices here that weren't priced outrageously.  The Saraguro is only $21 a night including taxes.  The bed is comfortable, but the place hasn't been remodeled in maybe 25-30 years--since it was built, I would guess. It is in a good location, and I will only be here for 2 nights.

Loja is in a mess!  Much of the center is torn up.  Pipes, streets and sidewalks are all being replaced.  And the project covers many blocks.  But it is a nice town with a number of pleasant plazas.  The best is San Sebastian which is surrounded by original colonial structures.  After going to the tourist office I just explored aimlessly for a while.

By 14:30, I realized that I needed to find a place for lunch before it was too late.  The Ecuadorian places were listing the same, simple dishes.  Then, I saw a shawarma place.  I ordered a mixed one--chicken, beef, and falafel which came with a small glass of cola.  It was delicious, but was unfortunately small.  After leaving, I had to stop at a bakery for a chocolate covered donut to get full.

What a disappointment I then had.  The tourist office had given me a schedule of events that showed a symphony orchestra concert tonight.  I went to the beautiful Teatro Bolivar to buy a ticket only to find that the performance was cancelled due to the guest artists not being able to perform!

I have been in my room since late afternoon and will not go out tonight.  I finished reading Tenth of December, a collection of short stories by George Saunders which was a finalist for the National Book Award a few years ago.  Most were interesting; a few were rather special.  I gave the book 3 1/2 stars out of 5.

No comments: