Monday, October 02, 2017

Riobamba and Side Trip to Guano

Monday, Oct. 2, 2017--Riobamba and Guano

Today was a day for wandering.  Heading out about 9:00, I was searching for a place for breakfast.  Most cities here are filled with small places offering several choices for breakfast ranging in price from $1.50 (continental) to $3.00 (complete including coffee or chocolate and a glass of juice). I walked blocks without finding such a place.  I did find some unreasonably expensive places for tourists near the train station.  A few minutes later near the main plaza, however, I found a churros place.  I got an order of 4 warm churros and a cup of hot chocolate.  It was a nice change from what I have been eating.

My first stop, after taking photos of some of the nice plazas and buildings in town, was the City Museum.  I have always liked such museums, especially when they have old photos showing how the town has looked over time.  This one had those, some local art, a display of a fancy living room and a home office/library from 100 years ago, etc.  But it also had two very interesting special exhibits.  One was of tops made and worn by area indigenous women.  The other was miniatures of carnival groups in costume that had actually performed in the local festival.  Above each display of miniatures was a photo of the actual group.

Another museum in town that was supposed to be open on Mondays was closed.  So I decided to take bus to Guano, a small town in the foothills that is known for leatherwork, for weavings, and for wood carvings.  The best part of the trip proved to be the almost totally clear sightings of two of the area volcanoes that are snowcapped.  The town was nice, too.  I tried to find a place for lunch and had the same problem as this morning.  Either this area doesn't have small places, or they are here and just don't open on Mondays.

Back in my room, my landlord came out to invite me for a bowl of soup.  It proved to be for an entire lunch with his whole family.  Besides a delicious potato/spinach soup, we had lamb with the tastiest sauce i have had on the whole trip, rice, and a small tomato/pickled radish salad.

Late in the afternoon I walked to the bus station to double check the schedule I had found online for tomorrow.  I tried to buy my ticket, but the lady said that I would pay on the bus.  But everything is set for my travels tomorrow via bus, train, and bus again.

No comments: