Monday, January 21, 2013

Ups and Downs

Monday, Jan. 21, 2013--Altagracia to Moyogalpa

This morning as I prepared to leave Altagracia, I started reviewing my information.  As I researched hotels for Merida, my intended destination, I noticed that I had earlier (when figuring out how to get to an ATM machine fast from San Carlos) researched hotels in Mayagalpa rather than Moyogalpa (two different places and only the latter being a town here on Ometepe Island).  That made me wonder about ATM locations I had researched at the same time.  Sure enough, I had researched ATMs in Mayagalpa, a town that has 8 locations that accept MasterCard.  When I researched Moyogalpa on the M/C site this morning, nothing came up.  That raised the question of money again.  The hotels in Merida were expensive--$30 a night or more WITHOUT breakfast--for someone with limited cash.  I quickly changed my plans to go to Moyogalpa which is the ferry landing figuring that I could afford 2-3 days there and then take the ferry to the mainland where the nearby town of Rivas has M/C ATMs according to the website.

I, therefore, quickly researched hotels in Moyogalpa and wrote The Cornerhouse asking them to save me a room if they had one available.  It's $20 per day and includes breakfast (or a packed lunch).  I then caught the 10:00 bus and arrived an hour later.  I followed the directions up the street to The Cornerhouse which is run by a young Australian couple who have apparently falllen in love with the island.  They had gotten my message and were expecting me.  The room is simple with lots of character--smooth stucco painted white on the lower walls and exposed brick walls above that.  bamboo cane ceilings, ceiling fan, sturdy double bed with a GOOD mattress, stylish lamps on tables, distilled water in an attractive liquor bottle, nice bathroom, and lots of light through a wide window.  The only problem is that it faces the main street, so I will have to wear my earplugs in the evenings.

My first order of business was to read the information booklet for the hotel.  I was looking for the wifi code, but what I found was even more exciting and interesting:  If the information in the booklet is correct, there are TWO bank ATMs here in town that will accept either VISA or MasterCard!!  If so, why doesn't M/C list them on their website?  Anyway, I may have solved my money problems.  I will save this post as a draft and complete it later tonight to give the news of whether I have faced a true UP moment via success or another DOWN moment in my efforts to solve my money problems.  If I get the money, I may stay on the island longer and visit a couple of other places!!!
_______
SUCCESS!!  Although the fee seemed high (1%, which I assume is the ATM fee and not the M/C conversion fee which is also 1%), I got money!!  I now have 9,300 Cordobas (equivalent to $385 US) plus an emergency reserve of $250 US.  Also, most of the cities where I will be traveling after leaving the island will have ATMs that will work for further money if I need it.

While out getting money, I explored the town.  Moyogalpa is bigger than Altagracia, but it still is a small town.  People seem more used to tourists here and most didn't greet me the way they did in the smaller town.  There are quite a few tourists on the island, though.  They seem to come from all over the world.  Most would be classified as backpackers, although I have seen some families and maybe some groups of students on formal study tours.  Prices are a bit higher here than in Altagracia, but they are still cheap compared to Panama and Costa Rica.

I sat in the park and finished reading my most recent novel--Fieldwork by Mischa Berlinski.  It's one of the most readable novels I've encountered recently.  I never wanted to put it down.  It's well written, although it will never be considered a great novel.  It was, however, good enough to be a finalist for the National Book Award.  For anyone interested in foreign cultures, travel to exotic locations, anthropology, and/or religion, you should enjoy it.  I gave it 3 1/2 stars out of 4.

Will eat somewhere tonight and then just stay in my room.  Maybe I'll start a new book or read a magazine I picked up outside.

No comments: