Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Leaving the Island

Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2013--Ometepe to Granada

I slept in and took my time on the computer and getting cleaned up, because I knew I wouldn't be leaving the island until 11:00 on the El Che ferry.  I enjoyed a final wonderful breakfast at The Cornerhouse (Eggs Benedict again with fried chunks of potato and a pineapple-milk smoothie).  I really enjoyed the hospitality there; the owner Gary was especially friendly and nice.

The ferry left on time and took just over an hour to get to San Jorge on the mainland.  The boat was full, but it wasn't crowded.  The price was just over $2, so it was a bargain.  There was a great surprise on the dock when we landed--a bus heading straight to Granada.  I had expected to have to take a colectivo (shared) taxi to Rivas and then take a bus from there.  This really simplified things.

I was unable to get a reservation for tonight at my hotel of choice (although I will transfer to there tomorrow night for a two-night stay), so I had picked out an alternative hotel for tonight.  I was able to tell from the map where to get off the bus that would be closer to the hotel rather than going all the way to the station and backtracking.  The helper on the bus asked me if I was sure I wanted off there.  Not only did it fit my map, but I saw a small sign with an arrow pointing the direction to the Hotel Casa Barcelona where I planned to try to get a room.

I had to walk about 8 blocks.  Fortunately, there was another sign where I needed to turn (although I would have found it with my map if it hadn't been there).  And when I got to the hotel, there were two rooms available--one with a fan and one with a/c.  I decided to take the room with the fan ($12 cheaper) since I will be splurging at my next place.  The big surprise is that the windows of the room have screen wiring over them.  I haven't seen that on the whole trip, I don't think.

Since it was only about 14:30, I wandered into town to explore.  Granada is an old colonial city which is quite special.  At first it seemed that only a small part of the city was really old, but in time I found more and more.  It was fun turning corners and finding special old buildings all over the place.  According to my guidebook, it's the goose that laid the golden egg in terms of tourism for Nicaragua.

While exploring, I found my next hotel and gave them my credit card information so they would hold the room for me for the next two nights.  I walked up and down Calle La Calzada, the cobblestone main street that runs from the Central Plaza down to the lakefront.  I wandered around the main plaza.  I went through back streets stopping to see Iglesia Merced, I stopped at a small shop and ate a chicken sandwich, and I returned through the market area with its beautiful old market building to my hotel around 17:30.

The owner of the hotel introduced herself and sent a tray with fresh, iced lemonade (tart) and 3 cookies to my door.  I'm staying inside tonight, because my hotel is several blocks from the center of town.  Starting tomorrow, my new hotel will be one block off the main street.

No comments: