Thursday, January 17, 2013

A Problem in Nicaragua


Thursday, Jan. 17, 2013—Los Chiles, Costa Rica, to San Carlos, Nicaragua

I went to bed early last night because the light in the room attracted bugs.  There was an open slit about 2 inches (5 cm) high above the air conditioner.  I didn’t notice it until I realized that bugs were everywhere.  Fortunately, I turned off the room light and turned on the outer porch light and they all went back out the slit and didn’t bother me for the rest of the evening.  Sleeping wasn’t easy, though.  The air conditioner was loud and cold.  It blew directly onto my bed.  I had only a sheet to cover with plus my strategic placement of 3 extra pillows.  However, I had to turn the a/c off and back on several times during the night; it would get too warm off and then too cold on..

I was up early since I went to bed around 20:30.  I used the time to do some quick research on the Internet, although the speed was rather slow.  Knowing that immigration would open at 8:30 and not wanting to miss the first boat, I left the hotel (1 km/0.6 mile outside of town) around 8:45.  Getting to the docks took a bit longer than walking to town, since I had to also walk across town.  Anyway, I was there at immigration around 9:15 and went through quickly.  A nice surprise was that they didn’t charge me the expected $28 exit fee (which Wes did have to pay at the airport when he left and which my guidebook had said I would have to pay here).  I was the 8th person to buy a ticket for the boat around 9:30. 

I really hadn’t eaten anything but 300 g (10 oz.) of corn chips all day yesterday.  My hotel didn’t include breakfast, and I had waited until noon for my bus to leave.  When it arrived at 15:00, I headed out into the country to the hotel which did not have a nearby restaurant.  So I subsisted on eating half the chips on the bus and the other half in the room in the evening.  Near the boat dock was a small place, so I ordered breakfast of rice, beans, chicken in sauce, tortilla and tamarindo juice.  It was delicious.  The chicken had been cooked on a charcoal grill. 

I had hoped the boat would leave between 10:00 and 11:00.  Two sources had said there would be a departure either at 10:30 or 11:00. I read, and time passed.  At noon, I returned to the restaurant and had two more glasses of juice—one of tamarindo and the other of pineapple, since I was quite thirsty and had extra Costa Rican Colones to get rid of due to not having to pay an exit fee.

Finally, at 12:30 they loaded our luggage and everyone was expecting to leave.  But then they discovered that people buying tickets for two different boat companies had loaded their luggage on our boat.  They had to search for their luggage and remove it.  Then we were still waiting because some people were still trying to get processed at the immigration office.  It wasn’t until 13:30 that the boat took off. 

Almost immediately, because our boat was trying to get off before the other so that we would get to immigration in San Carlos first, water came over the front of the boat and got all the baggage wet.  Although it was the convenient place for us to grab our luggage upon arrival, the boy carried it inside to the back of the boat. 

The trip was fantastic.  It took an hour along a beautiful river.  Everyone was taking photos and watching for exotic wildlife.  We saw various water birds, lots of blue kingfishers, yellow birds, etc.  We saw turtles sunning on fallen tree trunks.  We saw a snake coiling in the water.  We saw primitive homes with thatched roofs.  And the whole way, there was a jungle of trees pressing against each other along the riverside.

I had planned to take a river trip for two hours from here to El Castillo.  Already on this trip, I was realizing tht I probably wouldn’t see more than I had today.  Plus I would have had to backtrack.  But a major problem developed that convinced me that I needed to change my plans.

I went to the only ATM here that accepts MasterCard which is not as common here as VISA and which is the USAA debit card I have for getting cash when traveling now.  The machine didn’t give me money and said it was due to my bank not approving the transaction.  I tried again hoping I had maybe put the wrong card in the machine, but it happened again.  I immediately realized this is a problem, since I had just entered a new country and had no currency other than some dollars for an emergency.  I also realized that my dollars would help only so long, so I would need to move to where I could use the Internet to contact USAA (and to bigger towns where I could use a credit card to pay for my hotel bills to spread out the use of my dollars until I could get the debit card to work in an ATM).

Fortunately, it was still (barely) banking hours, so I headed to a bank lobby of another bank nearby.  (The ATM that takes MasterCard was a stand-alone ATM.)  I exchanged $100 and the rest of my Costa Rican money which amounted to about $24.  Then I went to check on a boat to get me across the lake to a place with more connections to the world.  It leaves at 6:00 tomorrow morning.  Then I found a hotel (supposedly the second best in town) where I was able to get a room for only $10 using more dollars from my stash). 

I will go back out of the hotel now and double check the time of the boat tomorrow.  I will also look for a place to eat, although I am not very hungry out of concern for the failure to get money out of the ATM.  I would love to do some research on the Internet to help me know where to stay tomorrow when I arrive at Altagracia on the island of Ometepe, but none of the hotels here have wifi.  (The computer doesn’t register any wifi within range.)  I’ll just use my guidebook to help me find a place.  And if it isn’t nice enough, I will search for an alternative where I can move the next night.  If I can use the Internet there and solve my money problems, I will stay a few days on the island.

I finished reading The End by Salvatore Scibone. It was a bit of a disappointment to me.  Although the stories of the characters were interesting, there were philosophical aspects I found boring and tedious.  I gave it 3 stars out of 4 because the story parts were well written.  I’m glad it was only nominated for the National Book Award and didn’t win it.

Note:  I found a cyber cafe.  Will try to contact USAA from here.

No comments: