Sunday, May 25, 2008

Relaxing in Cebu

Saturday, May 24, 2008--Cebu

After spending two hours on the Internet catching up with things, I went to buy a ferry ticket for leaving Cebu on Monday. I would have left tomorrow, but my laundry won't be ready in time for that. I will catch a boat at noon Monday for the 1 3/4 hour trip to Bohol, a nearby island known for its beautiful beaches and clear water.

I walked back through the downtown area after that. I went by the market area but didn't get to explore it. Something had happened there. The crowd was standing around looking, and the police were re-routing traffic. But I wandered through the rest of the center of town looking at it without my guidebook in hand this time. I tried to eat lunch at a restaurant there that is the oldest in town and considered to be one of the best, but it had sign saying it is closed for 30 days. That's probably because this is the school holidays in the Philippines. In fact, all the stores are having back-to-school sales right now. So I walked back to my area of town again.

I failed to get a good meal again. I ordered a plate of grilled marlin with rice, soup, and tea. The grilled marlin had a nice taste to it, but it was a bit dry from being cooked and then reheated. The rice was the main problem though. I don't think they put any salt in it when they cooked it. Its taste make the soup and the marlin more bland. At least I had some soy sauce to put over it, but it wasn't enough.

I got back to my room just in time for the rains to come. I thought we were going to avoid them today, but around 17:00 they arrived. And they kept on and on. I am glad I had already eaten. I watched an Australian film on TV and read from the book I am reading right now.

Sunday, May 25, 2008--Cebu

I thought I was headed for a park this morning based on what was on my map. But it ended up being a cemetery. This city just does not have parks other than one small one in the center of town that is currently torn up for subway construction. I went a little further to the biggest mall in town and spent time there instead. While resting, I talked to a guy who was feeding his sister's baby while she shopped. He said that people go to the beach in a nearby town rather than to parks. Since I am going to an island known for its beaches tomorrow, I really didn't want to do that. So I explored the mall, watched the people, and then returned to my part of town.

It's mid afternoon now. I am feeling hungry, so I will go to find a place to eat. I have to pick up my laundry after 18:00 which means after dark. But then I will be ready to head to greener pastures tomorrow.

No comments: