Thursday, May 15, 2008

Off to Nagasaki

Tuesday, May 13, 2006--Okinawa to Nagasaki

I am trying to make a reservation for next weekend. I am a bit worried about it, since I will be in a tourist town. Hope it works out.

I had much of today to spend here, since my flight is not until 15:45. I went to the market and bought me a bento box--a Japanese meal in a to-go box. Then I walked to the airport. It only took about an hour, and I had nothing better to do. I wanted the exercise.

I wanted to get cash at the airport ATM, but it only gives a limit of $100. That isn't much. I will now have to try to get more in Nagasaki.

They had a bad earthquate in southern China where I will have my last stop. It didn't do much damage to the city where I will be, but some of the villages northwest of there where I planned to visit may not be available now.

Japan is so far behind the rest of SE Asia in terms of ease of travel. So few people speak English, and the ATM problem also causes trouble. In general, I am doing fine, but most people would be frustrated, I think. It helps that I am a good map reader and a good reasoner.

It was cool when I arrived in Nagasaki. That was a surprise. Maybe it is a bit like San Francisco, since it is on the water with mountains around it. I could use a pullover in the evenings.

I am staying at the nicest place where I have been so far. Every other place I called was fully booked 2 1/2 weeks ago. So I took this place knowing nothing about it. It is 7 1/2 tatami mats big, has a nice bathroom, a nice toilet room with an automated toilet that rises and blows dry, a flat-panel TV (but still only local channels), telephone, rice panel doors, etc. Unfortunately, it does not have a computer for guests. The owner recommends going to Kinkos which charges $6 per hour!!

Wednesday, May 14, 2008--Nagasaki

I left early for Peace Park and the Epicenter Park where the atomic bomb burst in 1945. The park has a nice fountain and statues that have been donated from around the world. It was interesting to notice that the biggest and first statues constructed came from communist countries. I think it must have been an effort to convince people that communists were sympathic and that communism was the way for all governments to go.

The whole area is new, of course. It seemed strange being there and knowing that the bomb had gone off there. I felt a bit guilty about it, too, since I am an American. There is a very nice museum with some of the ruins on display along with photos and videos. That was all sad to see, but the museum had a funny sign over its elevator: Reserved for those who are unrailed."

From there, I took the tram to Glover Gardens. It's a hillside that has the home of one of the western settlers to Nagasaki. But over the years, the city has bought other western-style homes of settlers and moved them to the same hill creating a historical park somewhat like Heritage Park in Corpus Christi. There is one entrance fee, and all the gardens and homes are open for viewing.

Nagasaki is the setting for Madame Butterfly, and the city is proud of it. There were exhibits in one of the homes at Glover Gardens about the opera and about a local diva who became famous singing the role all over the world.

Thursday, May 15, 2008--Nagasaki to Kumamoto

I took an early train to get to Kumamoto by noon. I didn't have a reservation, but I managed to get one here. It's the worst of the places I have stayed so far, but it is acceptable, especially since I am here for only one night.

After checking in, I headed to the castle area. I came here mainly because it has one of the best castles, and nearby is the private home of one of the samarai warriors. On the way to trying to find the home, I asked for directions. A wonderful old man volunteered to help me. He even walked me there. On the way, he told that he has visited the U.S. on a 12-day bus tour that went from New York to Los Angeles. He eventually told me he is 91. And he was walking almost as fast as I normally do!!

The home of the samarai was fantastic--one of the best sights I have seen here. Then the castle was the best castle I have seen. It has one tall turret that is original, and there is a tea ceremony building that is original. Those buildings have wood that is over 500 years old in them. The central tower, like those of the other castles I have seen is rebuilt out of concrete and looks only as it did when seeing it from the outside. I am glad I came here, though, since I feel I have not REALLY visited an old castle in Japan. But the home. Google to see and read about it: Kyu-Hosokawa Gyobutei.

Just read that I do NOT have a reservation for tomorrow and Saturday night. Now I must try to resolve that problem!!

No comments: