Monday, May 12, 2008

Last Day in Okinawa

Monday, May 12, 2008--Naha, Okinawa

I just discovered today that I have been putting the wrong dates on my posts. The flight over passed the International Date Line. When I got up the next day to write in my journal, I accidentally put the 4th, the day after I left San Antonio, instead of the 5th to account for the extra day that crossing the line involves. Anyway, I have done everything on schedule including catching my flight to here. It was when I was checking the time on my ticket for my flight tomorrow that I realized something was wrong.

I really didn`t need today in Okinawa. I could have left. There wasn`t much to consider doing. Local transport across the island is very expensive. I could have gone up northward, but for that cost of the transport, all I would have seen is "Little America" around the American bases (which is what many Japanese come here to see! Anyway, I walked and explored. I first went to an area of town that is known for families that have made pottery for hundreds of years. There were some very nice pieces. I was impressed. From there, I walked back to the beach for a while. There were more people than on Sunday. I walked northward along the waterfront past the ferry landing. Then I cut through the modern shopping district of Naja. At its end is a very fancy shopping mall that has only boutiques by the top names in retail. It is much like a fortress (maybe to keep shoplifters from getting out?). A tour bus was there, so it is on the tourist route. Anyway, how can a town the size of Corpus Christi sustain such an upscale mall with ONLY the most expensive retail shops? Even if it is the provincial capital for a larger population and a tourist center, it must be difficult for that mall to stay in business. Every bit of space was rented, though.

A thyphoon has been passing along the edge of Japan heading north-northeastward. We got blustery winds from it over the weekend, but only a few night time showers. Today, the island where Tokyo is was getting some heavy rain along the coast. I`m glad it didn`t hit us directly while I am here.

No comments: