Sunday, May 04, 2008

I am in Japan!

Monday, May 5, Nara, Japan

All my flights and trains were ontime. I arrived in Nara at 19:45 last night and was going to bed at my ryokan (Japanese guest house) at 20: at my ryokan (Japanese guest house) at 20:45--26 my ryokan (Japanese guest house) at 20:45--26 hours and15 minutes after gettting up in San Antonio.

The flight from San Antonio to San Francisco was only about 3/4 full, and I had no one beside me. In the top classes on the international flight, we were only about 10 the international flight, we were only about 10% full. Thank goodness I did not have to fly 10% full. Thank goodness I did not have to fly economy where it was 95% full.

I took 4 trains after arriving in Japan. All were very efficient and on time. I had reserved seats on each, so I was comfortable. reserved seats on each, so I was comfortable. I had to worry about where to transfer, so I was a little nervous. about where to transfer, so I was a little nervous. I can tell, to transfer, so I was a little nervous. I can tell, because my fingernails were a little uneven this morning. But it ended up being simple with the transfers being at each stop.

Nagoya was interesting to see. They were having waterfront boat races at a very nice, big stadium built for the purpose. The train station was so busy with people. But there were several people volunteering to help me every time I needed it.

The ryokan is nicer than the guidebook described. It has wonderful atmosphere and used to be a geisha house long ago. It is very clean (as is every place I have ever stayed in Japan. My room has a/c, tv, etc. The walls are wood-framed with paper. There are facilities for making tea, and a small sitting area facilities for making tea, and a small sitting area for having it. Otherwise, everything is on the tatami-matted floor. The place has a central men`s shower and bath. It is like a Japanese bath house with a communal tub filled with hot water for soaking and relaxing after having showered well before entering. As with all Japanese places, there is a nice cotton robe, well ironed, to wear from the room to the bath house. Toilets are also down the hallway, but there are several of them.

I will explore Nara today. I will stay here 3 more nights, but I have a train pass and will explore the area each day. The ryokan has 30 minutes of free Internet per day, so I will probably post daily while I am here.

No comments: