Friday, May 30, 2008

About to Leave Bohol

Thursday, May 29, 2008--Tagbilaran (Continued)

I finished reading Disgrace by J. M. Coetzee. It was a Booker Prize winner and is competing this year for the Booker's Booker--the best book to have won the Booker Prize in the history of the award. It seems to be a front runner along with Salmen Rushdie's Midnight's Children. It is a very well written book about a college professor who has a history of affairs with students and get's fired when one complains. But it goes from there to interweave a number of stories which all seem to paint a picture of life in South Africa. Unfortunately, it is a disheartening picture that questions whether there can be long-range hope for South Africa. I gave the book 3 1/2 stars out of 4 mainly because I found the side story about the professors research and writings to be boring.

For dinner, I ordered Butter Chicken. I thought it would be chicken in a sauce. Instead, it was fried in a spicy batter. It was very tasty. Since there was no sauce, other than ketchup on the side, I had to eat the ketchup with the rice to keep it from all being dry.

Friday, May 30, 2008--Tagbilaran

I have been lazy today. I stayed in my room listening to the news and reading until noon. Now I will go to a mall to shop for a couple of things I need. This is my last day on the island of Bohol. I had thought of taking a jeepney to a beach just to see it, but I think I will just continue to relax. I have to go to bed early, since I must be up tomorrow morning earlier than usual to catch my 8 a.m. ferry for Dumaguete on the island of Negros. My next posting will be from there.

No comments: