Thursday, May 08, 2008

Leaving for Okinawa

Thursday, May 7, 2008--Nara to Nagoya

I took the train to Nagoya after updating the blog this morning. I had been on 2/3 of the route 3 times before, and on the last third once before. Since it was a 2 1/2 hour trip, I just read to pass the time.

When I arrived at my hotel, I had made my reservation for a different day. In my rush to try to get reservations, I had made it for the last day before LEAVING Okinawa instead of the last day before GOING TO Okinawa. Fortunately, they had a room for me for tonight. It`s one of the cheaper hotels in town due to the fact it is one of the few that has single rooms. The room is small, but it isn`t one of the capsule hotels that Japan is known for. Compared to one of those, this is luxurious (although just about as cheap as a capsule room). This one is about twice the size of a single bed in width, and the bathroom takes up a corner from that. It is about 1 1/4 times as long as a single bed. But it has a TV, a mini-fridge, a bath, etc. It is well planned. When I put my suitcase out, however, it blocks either the exit door or the bathroom door due to the limited floor space not occupied by the bed or the bath.

I was starving after checking into the hotel, and it was already 12:30. I headed to a restaurant recommended by my guidebook. I should have known better. In general, I have found it is easier just to wander and find a place than it is to chase down the places listed in guidebooks. Sure enough, it didn`t exist when I got there. A new building was being constructed where it was supposed to be. Yet my guidebook was only published last year. Anyway, I was so hungry and had no idea where to go. I started looking for side streets that have small eateries. When I came to the end of one of those, at the corner of that street and a major street were two fast-food places. One had a crowd. And the menu on the window was in English in small letters. I went inside and, not knowing the procedure, sat and waited. When the waiter came to me, I ordered the curry with rice in the large size. It was so tasty compared to what I have eaten for the last two days--a big plate with vegetable curry and rice, and a bowl of soup with onions and green leaves on the side. It also came with cold water which was refilled often. As I ate it, I watched others and learned what I should have done when I entered. There are vending machines near both doors. The correct procedure is to pay the machine and push a button for what you want to order. It gives a chit which is then handed to the waiter. Obviously, they are used to doing it with foreigners as they did with me. Another reason they obviously serve foreigners regularly is that they gave me a big spoon to eat mine with rather than expecting me to eat that runny mixture with chopsticks like everyone else.

I wandered the city some after that. Nagoya is huge and very modern. It`s the headquarters for Toyota. In size, it reminds me a bit of Chicago, since the downtown area is so big with specialized sections--a long street for shopping, another area for business headquarters and train stations, etc. I was tired, though, and decided to head back to my room at 15:00.

In my room, I relaxed and finished reading The Unlikely Spy by Daniel Silva. It was given to me by my friend Jean recently. I enjoyed it, although I don`t normally read mysteries. I gave it 2 1/2 stars out of 4. I will take it to Okinawa tomorrow and see if I can trade it for another book with someone where I will be staying there.

It`s now evening. I will go out for a walk to see the city with its lights. I won`t stay long, though. My flight tomorrow is at 10:30, so I will have to leave the hotel around 7:30 to get the train to the airport.

This part of the trip has become very comfortable. I hope it remains so in the other parts of Japan where I am going. I like it when the systems are easy to figure out on my own.

No comments: