Sunday, September 27, 2009

Returning Home after 4.5 Months of Travel

Spending Update for Morocco: Morocco was a surprise. I expected it to be one of the cheaper countries for me to visit. Instead, it was the second most expensive (after Canada) on this trip! Even Barcelona and the areas of eastern Europe I visited have been less expensive. Over 10 days in Morocco, I spent $474.89 for an average of $47.49 per day. (Actually the amount was more than that due to the fall of the dollar. For other countries, I adjusted my exchange chart that I made in April to represent the new value, but since I was in Morocco for only 10 days and did not see the new exchange rate posted, I just used the old chart. Later, I realized that I had really spent about $550 for an average of $55 per day. Since I had already figured my expenses, however, I will leave them as I had them.) That means that I have spent $6377.83 over 156 days for an average of $40.88 per day during the whole trip.

Friday, Sept. 25, 2009--Barcelona (Continued)

Carrefour has a large supermarket on the Rambla. I bought water, chorizzo, and fruit. I ate that in my room with some of the other items I already had there--crackers, pickles, chips, and wine.

The parade I saw tonight had dragons as the paper machè items in it. They had flares coming out their nostrils as they turned and twisted going down the streets. I joined a large crowd of people following. When we reached the end of the route, there were sparkler-like fireworks that came out of the nostrils. It was quite exciting and nice.

Saturday, Sept. 26, 2009--Barcelona

I walked long distances today to see some of the outlying sights that had caught my attention either on the map or in my guidebook. I went by the large art museum which is part of a complex which was built for a world exposition here in 1929. Two of the chairs I have in my living room are called Barcelona chairs because they were designed for this exhibition. I didn´t go to the museum. There are too many people everywhere here, and I knew it would take most of the day just to see everything from the outside. Needing to see the museum can be an excuse to return here in a few years.

From there I headed to the area where the Olympics were held here a few years ago. However, I did not go to the Olympic grounds. Instead, I went nearby to see the gates of the botanical garden, Finca Guell, which were designed by Gaudi.

From there, I tried to see Collegi de les Terasianes. Unfortunately, it is fenced to keep people from seeing inside. I had one spot with a bit of a hole in the shrubbery which let me get a glimpse. It wasn´t enough.

My last stop before returning to town was Park Guell. It is a wonderful area with Gaudi designs. Being a beautiful day, many people were out. Musicians were playing. Everyone was enjoying the sunshine, the magical architecture, and the views across the city.

It had been 6 hours of walking, so I was tired when I returned to the room. I finished reading World without End by Ken Follett. The book got worse and worse as it went along, and it was far too long. It was written like a soap opera with recapsulations regularly as if the reader was not respected enough to follow on his own. Furthermore, from the book you would think that half the inventions and ideas of modern society came from the town of Kingsbridge in the 1300s. The book was a gift to me, and it confirms something I have already said many times--good literature does not usually come in a book with a glossy cover. I gave it 1 1/2 stars out of 4 and will leave it in the room rather than pass it on to someone else.

I have to worry about adjusting my schedule to be able to be awake Monday morning for my departure back to the U.S. I must catch the 4:20 bus to the airport, so I need to be up at 3:30. With all the excitement of the festival and all the noise from it, I have been going to bed late and sleeping late while wearing my earplugs. I will still need my earplugs to keep out the noise which means that they will block the alarm clock, too. Therefore, tonight I will go to bed at 20:30 and should sleep well, since I am tired from my cold and from so much walking.

Sunday, Sept. 27, 2009--Barcelona

Last night was my worst night of sleep due to the cold so far. I had much drainage into my throat which became more and more sore. I did sleep quite a few hours, however. I have a bit of a cough now that comes from a slight tickle in the throat.

I went to the beaches near the area of town called Barceloneta this morning. I had intended to go to a nearby town called Sitges, but I just did not feel like traveling. There were many people at the beach. I walked all the way down it and back again. The women were topless on most of the beach, and there is a nude section on the end closest to town. I sat beside the beach and ate some peanuts and fruits that I had with me.

On the way back to town, I happened upon a square where they were building human pyramids as a part of the Mercè Festival. I watched as 4 of them were built by the people from various districts of town or nearby villages.

It is now the middle of the afternoon. I will return to Texas tomorrow. The trip will take all day. I arrive in San Antonio at 19:50 after leaving my hotel around 4:00 (with a 7-hour time difference between the two cities). I´ll be in touch with a follow-up and a final spending report in a few days.

No comments: