Sunday, September 10, 2017

Starting to Move Southward toward Ecuador

Sunday, Sept. 10, 2017--Medellin to Pereira

As was expected, the bus terminal was alive with people heading out today.  It may be that way every Sunday, but I have a feeling it was a little busier because of people who came into town for the weekend to see the Pope. My bus wasn't completely full, but it was the most expensive company making the route I was taking.  Except for a restaurant break at 14:00, it was non-stop from Medellin to Pereira.

This bus ride was the first now in my movement through southern Colombia as I head toward Ecuador.  Although I will be stopping at some places not well known for tourism and some that are, each stop was planned to move me toward Ecuador without having too travel too far in any one day and to avoid the one long stretch that many people take at night because of the number of hours involved even though it is one of the few areas of Colombia where night travel is still considered to be dangerous.

The Colombian countryside continues to impress me.  Even though the mountains mean that it takes forever to go anywhere, they are so lush and so green.  They are the color of green that I expected Ireland to be when I toured that island.  And the mountains are so steep; one is always looking deep down into a valley or way up to the tops.

On the bus, they were showing an American film dubbed into Spanish starring Sofia Vergara.  I hadn't thought until then about her being from here.  I wonder if her popularity has fueled the Colombian tourism related to men coming specifically to party and meet women?  I was told by someone at one of my previous stops, when responding to their question about where I would be visiting in Colombia, that Pereira is known for its beautiful women.  I also know that my next stop (Cali) is considered the best place in all of Colombia for partying and meeting women.

Pereira is one of the 3 major cities (along with Manizales and Armenia) in the Eje de Cafeteria region of Colombia--a region where much of Colombia's coffee production takes place.  It is a region known for nice fincas which are the plantation homes of the owners.

The apartment where I am staying in Pereira is in a great location.  I walked from the bus station in just a few minutes.  Then I walked later just 3 blocks to an area with a huge shopping mall surrounded by lots of bars and restaurants.  I didn't do any more exploring, because I was tired.  But the apartment is also modern and nice, so it is a pleasure to be inside it.

Coming back from my walk, I stopped at a supermarket just two blocks down the street.  It is a very nice one--clean and modern with lots of specialty items.  In fact, their stock makes me wonder if there is an American expat community here since they had products that are typical of American and not seen much in foreign supermarkets--peanut butter, pancake mix, pancake syrup, etc.  Foreign things are expensive, though.  But food in general is expensive in Colombia.  People here must spend a higher percentage of their income on food than people in most countries do.


No comments: