Friday, September 29, 2017

Early Morning at the Thermal Baths

Friday, Sept. 29, 2017--Banos

It was 5:30 when I awoke.  At first, I thought of trying to sleep longer, but I wasn't tired and I new that the baths were already open.  I gathered everything and headed out.

As I had read there would be, a crowd of local people were already there.  I paid my $2 admission and another 50 cents to buy a nylon skull cap which is required.  A woman gave me a plastic crate (like a milk  crate) which I took inside an individual changing room.  I put my shoes, clothes, and towel inside the crate and wore my swimsuit and my skull cap.

I took my crate to a small building where they placed it in a numbered shelf cubicle and gave me a wrist band with a matching number.  I then went to an outdoor shower area to bathe before going into the pools.  It was a pleasant surprise that the shower water was warm from inside the volcano that the bathing complex snuggles against.

There are 5 pools.  I stayed upstairs, however, using only three (and mostly just two).  My first stop was the HOT pool.  Most people had trouble entering it because of the extreme heat.  I handled it well, but it did seem to burn my legs just above the ankles.  There is a 5-minute time limit for being in that pool.

Cascading down the mountain just beside the hottest pool is a dramatic waterfall.  Some of the water from it has been diverted to open-air shower troughs by the hot pool.  The water plunging out of the troughs provides a cold-water shock for the body after leaving the hot pool.  I plunged under one of the troughs.  Then I went back into the hot pool.

After about three rounds of that, I entered the warm pool where most of the people were.  Some were swimming, but most were just sitting or standing by the sides.  Many were visiting with each other since they were all locals who come there regularly.  I was the only tourist as far as I could tell.

Early morning is a magical time to be there.  It rains almost every night here, and mornings typically begin with low-hanging clouds, and with cold temperatures.  I stood at the side of the pool enjoying the combined views of the waterfall splashing and the steam from the pools looking as if it could be the cause for the formation of the low, misty clouds.

I discovered later that the third pool on my level was a cold plunging pool.  Hardly anyone was using it because the waterfall shower troughs provided the same effect.  And the two other pools below were a small spa (hot tub) and another, but smaller, warm pool.

Feeling the warmth of the waters, watching the waterfall, and scanning the view of the lush, green mountains was such an enjoyable and relaxing experience that I stayed there more than 2 1/2 hours--mainly in the warm pool while occasionally returning to the hot pool briefly.  But more people started arriving including families with children.  And the clouds began to dissipate and the sun to peek through.  It was still a nice place while losing some of its magical aspects.  I got my crate and changed back into my clothes.

More than likely the "local atmosphere" and the $2 admission at the Termas de la Virgen will end soon.  Construction of a much grander facility with a huge parking lot is almost complete next door.  I don't see how they will be able to keep the low admission charge or the intimate, local atmosphere once it opens.

Back at home, I made coffee and had a bowl of granola for breakfast.  Then I read the news on my phone.

In the afternoon, I went back out.  I bought my bus ticket for leaving here Sunday.  Then I took photos of some of the places here--the church (which has some interesting paintings of tragic events here where it is believed that their local saint performed miracles), interesting buildings, several of the bath houses, the waterfall, the mountains, etc.

I may go back out for a while tonight since it is Friday and Banos is known for being overrun on weekends with tourists from Quito.  There should be a lively atmosphere in town versus the quiet sleepiness it has had during the week.

Note: I have ordered me a new travel computer to replace the one that was stolen.  I had been researching new ones for some time and had decided that a Chromebook with a hard drive big enough to also load Linux on it as a second operating system would be best.  Because of the fact that theft will always be a danger, I didn't want to spend too much money for it.  I settled on an Acer Chromebook R11 with 4GB of ram and a touch screen.  Other advantages are that it folds back 360 degrees to be used as a tablet and it is certified for using Android apps (allowing me both to play Netflix films on it and to download Netflix films for watching when I am somewhere with WiFi too slow for streaming as is the case where I am staying now).  $249 plus taxes (plus 4 percent back--2 from my credit card and 2 from Costco--and free delivery.  Too bad I can't have it on the rest of this trip, but it will be waiting for me when I arrive home in 28 days.

No comments: