Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Computer Stolen

It has been a bad day, but not nearly as bad as it could have been.  After going through immigration quickly on both sides of the border (because of special lines for the elderly), I took a collectivo to the border town.  A professional thief broke into my backpack and stole my computer.  He did it by inserting something like a ballpoint pen into the zipper to pry it open.  Then after taking out the computer and the cord, he pulled the zipper back across-a self-fixing move.  The good news:. He did not get my camera, my bag of electrical cords, my Kindle, or anything else valuable although he opened the zipper on at least one more section.  (I figured out how he did it because the zipper on that one compartment was partially open with the zipper tabs still locked together.)

The best news:. I had planned to replace the 7-year-old computer I bought in China.  The battery had quit working, so I had thrown it away.  In pulling the cord out of the bag, the adapter that makes it work in the US or Ecuador came off inside the bag.  Therefore, the thief cannot use the computer, and I doubt that he can find an adapter for a Chinese plug here or even someone who knows it is a Chinese plug.  But if he does,  he will then be surprised to find it has neither Windows nor the Apple system on it.  It had a Linux operating system.  I wonder if he can even sell it.

There will not be any more long blog entries.  I will write short sentences of what I have seen or done.  I will not have links to photos.  You will need to do a Google in ages search if you want to see photos.  Just enter the key words into the search bar and then click on r"Images" where there is a choice below of the type of search.

No comments: