Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Transition to Ubon Ratchathani

Monday, July 19, 2010--Surin to Ubon Ratchathani

Traveling from Surin to Ubon Ratchatani took longer than I expected.  I left my room at 7:30 and arrived at the bus station just in time for the playing of the National Anthem!  After standing still on the parking lot, I asked about the bus I needed, and a lady pointed that I had to go across the street on the other side of the bus station where the entire pavement had been removed for replacement.  I was surprised to find that there was only one more morning bus that would leave at 8:34.  The lady couldn't sell me a ticket until later, but she assured me there were enough free seats on the bus that was coming from Bangkok.

Due to it coming from Bangkok, however, the bus was late and did not arrive until 9:00.  Being a "VIP" bus (no one allowed to stand and no stopping except at bus stations) I figured we could make it to "Ubon" rather quickly.  That was not the case.  We did not arrive until noon!  By then, it was blazing hot, and the Ubon bus station is far north of the city.

I had talked briefly with an elderly British man at the station in Surin.  I saw him and his young Thai girlfriend still standing at the station after I checked on the times for buses I might be taking in a few days.  They asked how I was going to town, and I said I would walk.  They insisted it was too far and too hot.  I had been afraid to try to take a songthaew, a small pickup with a roof and seats along the side, because of my luggage.  They told me there would be no problem and told me that the white one would go to the center of town near where I wanted to stay.  They were right, I jumped on with my bag and we took off with only two other persons on board.

It was necessary to pay close attention to my map of the city as it made its way to town.  Each time we turned a different direction, I tried to read the street signs and see where we were.  Eventually, we were heading down the street that would have taken us all the way to half a block from where I wanted to be, but then he turned again.  I pushed the buzzer, got off, and paid him his 30 cents U.S. for the ride.  Then I still had to walk about 5 LONG blocks to get here.

I'm staying at the Sapphasit Apartments (scroll down about 40% of the way to find them at the link).  It is a bit of a let-down after being at the White Elephant in Surin.  The apartment is big, is clean, has cable TV with HBO and CNN, has a/c and hot water, has wi-fi in the room, but...it is not as bright and fresh and it is a bit noisier since all the rooms open to an indoor hallway that is tiled.  I've considered moving to the Bua Boutique Hotel (first one shown at the link) which is newly remodeled and contemporary and fresh looking, but they only have wi-fi in the lobby there.

When the air cooled down around 16:30, I went exploring.  I had been told that there would be lots of activity at the park downtown.  Well, because of the Candle Festival, it is really alive!  There were food booths, rides, exhibits of candles and wax sculptures, etc.

As I wrote yesterday, these are quiet days of the festival.  In fact, many things are just being set up in the park.  And the bleachers for viewing the parade are just being constructed on the street beside the park.  The exhibits I saw, however, show what a unique event it is.  Besides the candles that have always been the center of the event, it has grown to include carved wax panels and huge wax sculptures.  Wax panels were on display and some artists were working on new ones.  They are in wooden frames the size of a large portrait or a small painting.  But what I was surprised to see were the large sculptures.  They were the winners from past competitions with information about the artists who made them and had come from all over the world.  Apparently this International Wax Sculpting Competition is much like the sand sculpture competitions that are held on beaches around the world.  Artists travel here and create giant sculptures, maybe 3-4 meters (yards) high and 2-3 meters (yards) long or wide.  This seems to be a competition that is separate from the sculptures that are included in the Festival Parade.

Returning to my room, I found a nice place for dinner just around the corner.  Then I watched a film on HBO and the news on CNN.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010--Ubon Ratchathani

Spent three more hours exploring and relaxing in town this morning before the heat really set in.  I stopped at the tourist office to get maps and information.  I also complained to them about the high fee that banks have started charing for withdrawals from ATMs and told them they should tell the government that tourists are complaining.

I returned to the park which is much quieter in the mornings.  The wax artists were working on their panels.  And lots of school groups were there to see the exhibits.  I sat in the shade and read from my current novel.

I wandered to a more modern, newer section of town hoping to find a supermarket.  I found a department store that lacked one, and it was too hot to keep going further to where I knew there would be one.  Instead, I stopped at a small restaurant that had a wonderful looking red curry with pork in a pot at the front.  I ordered that with rice and had lunch.  Then I returned to the room to stay cool in the afternoon.

It's now getting cool outside, so I will go out again.  I'll find something to eat and may return to the park.

No comments: