Friday, July 23, 2010

Disappointment and a Reprieve

Friday, July 23, 2010--Ubon Ratchathani to Khong Chiam

I remained in the room all morning on the computer and reading, since I knew I needed to check out before noon.  At 11:30, I left my bags downstairs and checked out.  I went around the block to an outdoor restaurant and had noodle soup for lunch.  I returned to pick up my bags, walked 1 1/2 blocks and caught a Songthaew #3 which took me directly to the bus station.

I had been told last week that the bus for Khong Chiam would leave at 14:00.  When I arrived today, I was told  it would be at 14:30.  In actuality, it didn't leave until 15:00.  Every bit later that a bus leaves, the greater the chance that rain will be present upon arrival, since it generally starts in the late afternoon.

There was a French couple also waiting for the Khong Chiam bus.  They have been traveling through small villages along the Mekong starting in the north of Thailand and have now worked their way to here.  He is retired and looks as fit as I am. She is a school teacher with another two years to go before retirement.  But they have been coming to Thailand during her summer vacation for two years now.

The bus trip took longer than I had hoped.  It was 2 1/2 hours before we arrived.  Fortunately, we were let off within half a block of where I had wanted to stay.  The bad news came when I got there and asked about a room.  She asked me how many days I needed it.  I told her for three, maybe for four, hoping she would think that was a good enough commitment to give me a good rate.  But what she said was that she is fully booked after tomorrow night due to Monday and Tuesday being national holidays and could only let me have a room for 2 nights.  I was immediately disappointed and concerned.  I took the room, however.

After stashing everything in the room, I quickly left to investigate the place that had been my second choice.  That's where I got my reprieve.  The woman had one small room which she had purposely not booked in advance.  She said I could have it Sunday night and Monday, too, if I decide to stay that long.  It costs more and does not have wi-fi like the first place, but I was glad to know I didn't have to leave so soon.

After that, I could relax and start appreciating Khong Chiam.  It really is a charming village--the easternmost place in all of Thailand.  It is at the junction of the Mekong River and the Mun River.  Along the Mekong, the city has built a park with a promenade.  There are a couple of large restaurants on the bluff along the promenade, and there are a couple of floating restaurants on large tethered barges in the river.  In the distance are wooded hills in Laos.  The Mekong is wide and is surprisingly calm right now.  Since this should be the rainy season, it would normally be rushing at this time of the year and quite a bit higher than it is right now.

While at the riverfront, two guys were taking photos of each other.  I asked them if they would like me to take a photo of them together.  I did,  then we stood and talked for some time.  One is a professor and associate dean from a university in Bangkok, and the other works in securities at a financial institution.  The sun was setting and the mosquitoes started to bother us, so we said good-bye for the time being.  They will be here for 5 days, so I am sure I will see them again.  They are staying at one of the fancier places in town that costs almost double what my place does.

On the way back to my guest house, I saw a very clean looking restaurant with no customers.  I entered and ordered fried rice, something I have not yet had on this trip.  While they were cooking my food, three other tables of diners entered.  I was amazed when the food was delivered.  The portion was huge.  It was like eating in a U.S. restaurant.  There was a big mound of fried rice with chicken and vegetables which was topped with a fried egg.  There were several green onions, and four large slices of fresh peeled cucumber.  It was more than double what I have been served in most places here.  Afterwards, I was stuffed.  And I was surprised.  The cost was 40 baht (about $1.25), only 10 baht more than what I have been paying elsewhere for small portions.

Although my guest house has wi-fi, it does not reach my room well.  I have to connect outside the room and then stay close to my door to get it to work.  It has disconnected while I have typed this, so I will have to go outside to get it to connect again before I can send it.  That's why I have only included one link with the post.  There was no connection while I was typing for me to be able to search and provide more.

No comments: