Sunday, July 18, 2010

Making More Travel Plans

Sunday, July 18, 2010--Surin

The weather remained cloudy without rain.   I am fortunate, I think. The hurricane that hit The Philippines and China is now headed for northern Vietnam and Laos.  I am right at the border with Laos, but it is southern Laos.  I'm hoping that the rain from the low pressure system will all remain north of where I am.  Otherwise, there could really be some wet days ahead!

I walked to a park and sat on a bench beside a lake this morning.  I read from my current book.  It was comfortable and pleasant sitting there.

This afternoon I made further travel plans.  United Airlines is having a fall sale.  I didn't realize that in advance.  I went to their website to check out possible destinations where I could go before the end of the year to get enough miles to retain my elite status on their frequent flyer program for another year.  When I saw the sale, I got serious about finding a flight.  The first place that popped into my mind was a trip to New York, a city I have not visited for several years now.  I did a search using the restricted dates for the sale and found flights at  great prices.  I chose a routing through Denver for two reasons: 1) The extra distance will give me the miles I need to assure my elite status, and 2) The departure flights don't leave until after 10:00 going each way assuring that I do not have to be up too early for catching my flights.  I will go at the end of October and stay for one week which should assure me nice autumn scenery and weather.  I've already investigated possible places to stay and have found some very nice one-bedroom apartments in good locations for $60-70 per night. A whole week in New York during autumn should cost me only about $675 for airfare and housing!!

After all of that, I went to a new place down the street for dinner. The lady made me a rice dish with pork and vegetables and made it spicy. It could have used a little more salt, but it was good.

Tomorrow will be an uncertain day.  I will check out of my room here and take a bus to Ubon Ratchathani.  Unfortunately, the entire month of July is the big festival there--the Candle Festival.  I've checked the calendar, and nothing special related to the festival seems to be taking place during the next four days.  Besides, it will be Monday through Thursday which are not necessarily big days for people to travel somewhere.  But I am going there without a room reservation. I wrote 3 e-mails this morning, but I have had no responses.  I am hoping that rooms will be available for me when I get there, however. I have four preferred places picked out based on their features and prices.  I will probably get a room even at the first choice.  But in case every place is booked up, I have an alternative plan.  I will just skip the city and move onward to Khong Chiam, the next place on my planned itinerary.

No comments: