Friday, January 13, 2006

On My Own Again

On My Own Again

Friday, Jan. 13, 2006, Puerto Iguazu, Argentina

I am in Iguazu waiting for my 9:30 p.m. bus to Resistencia, Argentina. Merryl and I were here today to see t he falls. She has gone back to Brazil now. Our t ime toget her has ended.

Plea se excuse t he typing. My a thumb is in a hard cast. It bumps the space ba r oft en, leaving spaces be tween letters within words. I am sure everyone who reads this blog is sma rt enough to figure out what t he wo rds are, how ever!

Merryl got well ra ther quickly from her stomach problems. We hdad a nice flight to Iguazu together, and we checked in at the nice hotel where I stayed last year. This year, however, it cost twice as much, since another company is running it! Ye s te r day, we tour ed t he falls on the Brazilian side. Last night, we ate at the nic est churrasca ria (all you can e at barbecued meat of many kinds along wit h a salad bar . Today, we saw the Argentinian side of the falls. Both experiences aare grea t. Yest erday, we were lucky that the temperatures were rather mild. Today, we had lots of steamy heat. But then it rained as w e left t he park and cooled t hings off.

I could not get a bus to San LUiz where I wanted to go. I couldn´t even go to Cordoba, another big city nearby without waiting for 4 days. That is why I am going to Resistencia. It is 10 hours in that direction. Maybe I will have good luck getting a bus from there tow a rd where I want to be. Will see.

The power went off at t he caber café after I had written 3 paragraphs. I have now reconstructed it. What a hassle with my b roken thumb. Typing causes some pain where the pins are located under my cast.

WEll, that brings everyone up to date on what is happening here. Merryl Hill fly back to San Antonio tomorrow ( including tomorrow night). I will work my way toward San Luis, a nice city near the wine district. I am a little worried about the number of t ourists this year. It seems to be more than last year, so I may have problems getting bus tickets and rooms as I go along. That´s one reason why I want to change my traveling months. I do not want to be in South America in Jan. and Feb. When everyone is traveling.

I´m doing fine. There is no problem moving around with my hand in a cast. I can st ill carry my backpack and suitcase easily. When I broke my wrist 25 years ago, I got lots of attent ion and pity from str angers. Maybe now that I am on my own again, maybe it will be the same again!

No comments: