Thursday, April 13, 2017

Off to Arles

Thursday, Apr. 13, 2017--Avignon to Arles

The Internet connection at Arles is very weak.  It has taken a long time to get this page to come up.  My phone won't even connect to it.  I will try writing off-line and then posting each day.  But if I have trouble and nothing is posted, it will be because of the Internet.  When I get to Montpellier on Monday, I will post anything that I do not get to post this week.  

Things are going a bit crazy here.  Easter is one of the BIG holidays in Europe.  The market in Avignon had stalls that were almost sold out by 11:00.  I'm not sure about stores.  After writing this, I will go out to see if stores are still open and buy me some supplies to get by within the apartment if necessary for the next 3 days.  I have a feeling they will be closed tomorrow for Good Friday, open briefly Saturday, then closed again Sunday for Easter.

The train I was supposed to take was canceled.  Fortunately, there was another an hour later.  They never checked my ticket, but it was only a 20-minute ride.

The apartment here in Arles is actually somewhat nice inside.  It is a bit different from the photos at the website:  The little chair by the windows has been replaced by a big red sofa, and the sofa on the wall has been replaced by a bed.  The table has been moved to be between the bed and the exit door with the kitchen just on the other side of the exit door.  However, the place faces one of the two big squares in town and the whole square is being set up for the Feria that begins tonight.  It's going to be hard sleeping, because people will be partying very late.  With the poor Internet connection, all I can do is hope to read or watch some TV.  I hope the book I am reading will last me for 3 days, since it is the last one I have downloaded.  Maybe I can get another downloaded with this slow Internet, but that is very questionable.  I will probably try sometime tonight.


No more writing now.  I cannot get other pages to open, and this one is not saving properly.  Again, don't be alarmed if I do not post anything for a few days.


No comments: