Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Moving Around


Wednesday, July 25, 2012—Omaha to Lincoln to Des Moines

I headed to Lincoln after breakfast.  I had a plan of several places I wanted to visit there, and it was just an hour away.  I was only able to visit two of the places, however, because the city streets were in a mess.  There is construction going on everywhere.  Streets were blocked making me take alternative routes.  Some came to dead ended because of barricades.  Parking was a mess everywhere because of these problems. 

Fortunately, the International Quilt Study Center and Museum was away from the center of town.  I spent quite a while there seeing their exhibits.  They had some wonderful quilts on exhibit ranging from old ones made in the 1800s to contemporary designs created recently. 

I drove around and through the University of Nebraskacampus trying to get to the Sheldon Art Museum to see its exhibits and had to give up.  It was obvious that it would be impossible to tour the campus or to get anywhere on it because of parking restrictions and construction.

From there, I headed to the NebraskaCapitol building.  Fortunately, there were some parking spaces near it, although they had a one-hour limit.  The building is a tall one similar to the capitol in Baton Rouge.  What surprised me most, however, is that it is so DARK inside.  A tour was starting when I arrived.  I joined it for a few minutes until I realized my hour would be up before we got through even the first floor of the building.  I did hear her trying to explain that the architect had purposely planned the dark hallways.  I didn’t hear why, and I can’t imagine why.  My guess is that the guides are trying to put a positive spin on a negative feature.  I wandered on my own going down the hallways, peaking into the chambers, climbing to other floors.  Toward the end of the main floor where the Supreme Court chamber is located, it was so dark that it was difficult to read the office numbers on the doors.  One door had a sign saying that the office was open and directing people to enter.  I imagine that the darkness makes people feel that the building is abandoned.  The walls are stone and the ceiling are somewhat vaulted.  Therefore, the feeling is like that of a European castle from the 1700-1800s that has only candlelight.  Strange.  There were some interesting murals high on some of the walls and some nice tile work on the ceilings.  But it has to be among the most depressing capitols anywhere.

I gave up on Lincoln after that and headed for Des Moines.  That meant backtracking through Omaha and going another 2 hours further.  I arrived at my hotel around 14:45.  It’s okay, but it has a weak Internet signal and a strange construction that gives each room two entrances--one from the inside and one from the outside.  I read the local alternative newspaper, and I marked places that I want to see in town on a map.  Tomorrow will be my day for getting out.  Tonight, we have thunderstorms and I am staying inside.

Steps Walked:  6000

Miles Driven:  240

No comments: