Monday, July 23, 2012

Car Is Ready for the Road Again

Monday, July 23, 2012--Sioux City to Omaha

I had made a reservation at a motel just a block from the Lexus dealership.  Arriving an hour before my appointment, I decided to take a chance of asking if the motel might already have a room ready (even though official check-in time isn't until the afternoon).  The lady was very kind when I explained I was getting my car serviced and would prefer not to take it there with the trunk full.  I got a room and moved everything out of the trunk and into it.

When I took the car to the dealer, I apologized for how dirty it was.  I asked how long the service would take, and they told me about 1 1/2 hours.  Unlike San Antonio, there was not a stream of cars coming into the service bay.  In fact, mine was apparently the last one of the morning.  The waiting room had only about 10 people inside, and some of those were couples so that there were no more than about 6 cars being serviced.  The waiting area was much more sterile than in San Antonio and lacked the "luxury" offerings.  It had only a single-cup coffee maker, some teabags, some jellybeans, some salty snacks, and some dried fruits.  In San Antonio, they have a full coffee bar with a barista, juices, pastries, nuts, chocolates, etc.

Anyway, I read and waited.  Gradually, they called everyone but me to pick up their car.  Then it was my turn.  They were very nice and explained everything they did.

I was tired, and the day was turning hot.  I returned to the hotel room for the afternoon.  I spent time on the computer, read a couple of magazines, and finished reading my present novel--Gilead by Marilynne Robinson.  It is written as if it is the memoirs of a dying 70+-year-old minister to his 7-year-old son.  It was very well written and has won multiple prizes.  It was a long read for me just because of my general lack of interest in religion.  I would give the book 3 1/2 stars out of 4 for its quality and probably 2 out 4 stars in terms of my interest in it.

There is a Costco just across the street from the Lexus dealership, so I went there at 16:30 just to get out of the room and to grab something to eat, since my only meal had been breakfast.  I got a polish sausage in a bun and a cola and wandered the store just looking around.  Afterward, I returned to the room rather than consider doing anything else, because the temperature was 106 degrees!

Tonight, I must plan what I will do now.  It is hot everywhere in the plains.  I have to decide whether to explore further in this area or to try to reach the mountains of Missouri and Arkansas which should be a bit cooler.

Steps Walked:  4907
Miles Driven:  103

No comments: