Monday, April 18, 2011

Rain During the Dry Season!

Monday, Apr. 19, 2011--Juayua

It's been a lazy day. I went out in the morning thinking I would walk into the countryside. But every direction involved going way uphill or way downhill, both of which would mean a climb. I just felt to lazy for it. Plus, the day was really heating up. I ended up sitting in the plaza and reading. Then I went to a pupusaria and ate two queso y frijol pupusas.

I returned to my room and continued to read sitting by my window. But I noticed it getting harder and harder to do so. Soon, I heard raindrops. Later, we had a real tropical-style heavy rainfall for 30-45 minutes. I was so tired that I got in bed and fell asleep. And it was such a deep sleep that when I awoke, I couldn't force myself to open my eyes and get up. I kept feeling heavy and falling back to sleep. Guess the stress of traveling and all the nights of interrupted sleep that my earplugs couldn't stop had caught up with me.

I went back out in the evening. I wandered up and down the streets. Everyone was friendly. It was interesting to see what a quiet town this is after the madhouse it is on weekends with the food festival. I bought a flat, oblong-shaped corn patty which was heated and wrapped in corn husks without really knowing what it was. It was sweet. And delicious! I felt like I had eaten dessert before dinner. Since I really wasn't hungry for much more, I went to the supermarket and bought some peanuts and a bottle of banana-strawberry drinking yogurt to take to the room.

Exploring the supermarkets here, I was amazed at how cheap liquor is. I had noticed a large number of drunks in town. No wonder, when they can buy a 750 ml bottle of rum for $6, a good bottle of vodka for $10, and a premium brand of Vodka for $15. I guess they have no taxes on alcohol here.

Tomorrow I head to a town without having a reservation. The one place I know there has not responded to my e-mails. I'm hoping they will have a room for me. If not, I can backtrack to another town. If they do have a room, I'm not sure if they will have wifi. So, the next couple of days could be adventurous. I just hope it doesn't rain anymore.

No comments: