Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Festivities

Wednesday, Apr. 20, 2011--Chalchuapa

I had planned to leave today. But as I thought more about it, I decided it would be better to spend more one day in Chalchuapa. It's a nice, quiet town. The hotel here is very nice and cheaper than the one where I would have stayed if I had left. And Santa Ana, the next place I will stop just doesn't have enough to keep me interested for more than a day.

Therefore, today became a lazy day. I read newspapers online, went to get a haircut, stopped at the supermarket to buy some water and yogurt, went to a local bakery for a pastry, read in my room, and slept.

I am sitting on the street at 22:25 waiting for an Easter processional. There will be a big one tonight. People have constructed many alfombras (the colorful carpets made of sawdust, flowers, etc.) for it. The atmosphere is very festive with people walking up and down the streets and visiting. I just visited with a woman from Seattle who was originally from here. The atmosphere here is as exciting as Christmas is at home.  The processional supposedly left the church an hour ago, but we haven't heard it yet, and it is not coming down our street yet. I hope I can stay awake for it; I'm yawning right now.

No comments: