Friday, April 29, 2011

11 Hours, 1 Pickup, 5 Buses, 1 Bee Sting, 1 Border, Rain, and ATM Problems!

Friday, Apr. 29, 2011--Perkin, El Salvador, to Comayagua, Honduras

I knew I needed an early start to make up for the problems yesterday.  I was awake at 6:10, at breakfast at 6:35, and catching a pickup truck at 7:05.  Other than a bee stinging me on the forehead while riding in the pickup, things actually went smoothly as I switched to two buses to get to the border and passed through check-out and check-in with immigration authorities in both El Salvador and Honduras.  The major problems began with the SLOW buses in Honduras.

It took 4 1/2 hours to get from the border to Tegucigalpa, the capital of Honduras.  In any of the other countries I've visited, that trip could have been made in 2 1/2 hours.  The buses here, however, stop ANYWHERE.  People will stand 20 meters down the road waiting for the bus to drive up to them rather than cluster at major bus stops.  The capital is a horrible city which I had decided to avoid.  Fortunately, the bus drivers took me to the bus station for the connecting bus to Comayagua.  But it then took 2 1/2 hours to go the 87 km (52 miles) to get there.

When we arrived around 17:45, rain had begun.  Fortunately, it was light.  But it meant I had to go searching for a hotel in it.  I was tired, hungry, and had a cold, so I wasn't too happy.  Although the second place was over-priced compared to what the guidebook said, it was okay.  But I couldn't check in without having more money.  I had exchanged $10 at the border to pay for bus trips and had not had a chance to go to an ATM until now.

I headed out to the local ATMs.  I went to one bank that had their's locked behind a door in the evening that can only be accessed by persons with cards for that bank.  I went further to HSBC, and their ATM said they could not connect with my bank.  I went to the supermarket, a mall, and a gas station trying their ATMs, too.  None could connect.  I am hoping that is because it is Friday evening on the last business day of the month; maybe the credit union is offline while updating their records.  If so, I should be able to get money tomorrow.

Because El Salvador uses the dollar, I had spent most  of my dollars there paying for all my expenses.  In desperation, however, I went to the bank open at the supermarket and they exchanged my last five $20 bills for local currency.  That allowed me to check into the hotel and will get me through maybe 3 days.  I've written an e-mail to the credit union, but they won't read it until Monday.  If I can't get more cash, I'll have to leave Honduras without going to the places I wish to visit.  At least I have some leftover Guatemala money I can use in that country, plus I had no trouble getting cash there.  I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

For now, though, I am tired and plan to go to bed!

No comments: