Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Relaxing at a Nice Hotel

Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2008--Jaipur

I slept late this morning. I was very tired from the long day of travel yesterday. And my hotel is so nice that I just wanted to enjoy it. Actually, the hotel reminds me of a resort hotel of the kind that people used to take whole vacations just to stay at the hotel and relax. My room is big and has two seating areas--one with chairs and a coffee table and another with a rug, small short table, and pillows. Down the the lobby, there are computers for the Internet and newspapers in English to read. Out on the front porch which is surrounded by green gardens, there are 3 dining tables and two small tables with chairs where guests can either eat or just sit and read or have drinks.

I finished reading the classic book A Passage to India by E. M. Forster. It's a truly great novel set in the days of the British Raj. I saw the BBC/Masterpeace Theater production that was about 16 hours long 15 years ago or so. It followed the book faithfully except that the book did not include the torture scene the show had when Dr. Aziz was arrested. I gave it 4 stars our of 4!

When I finally went out in the late morning, I walked through parts of the old walled city. I had driven through it with Adnan before, but I wanted to see it up close. Essentially, it was much like the other old towns I have visited here in Rajasthan. Therefore, I just went halfway into it, turn to the left, and then went back out. I really didn't want to visit the palace or any of the other sites there, since they would be similar to places I have already seen.

I took a bus back down the long road that would take me near my hotel. We were packed like sardines. At one point, the thought of panicking came to mind from the crush. But I just breathed deeply and did okay. I couldn't get to the door when we came to where I wanted off, so I just stayed on longer. Finally, when I did move a bit toward the door so I could exit, a strange thing happened. A young man behind me said, "I hope you don't return to India." Suddenly there was a chorus of other voices asking, "Why?" Whatever the case, he probably will get his way. I doubt that I will return again. My passport is getting full of stamps and will probably have to be renewed before I travel next year. I won't pay to renew my Indian visa, since it is one of the most expensive ones. India is in its last days of opportunity for gouging me.

I returned to the hotel for the afternoon. I stayed in my room and read from my latest book. I got a call from Amit, one of my Internet friends asking if he could come to see me around 17:00.

Amit is a 22-year-old student working on his MBA degree. It is a "modern" Indian--about 2 m (6+ feet) tall and eager to lead a different life with success in work and with a break from some of the Indian traditions that have hindered young people here. We had written several times to each other and found that we had lots of common interests--reading good books, seeing foreign and independent films, listening to melodic music, etc. I ordered a pot of hot ginger lemon which we drank as we visited. He is very high on life and contributes his reading of Dale Carnegie books to it, saying that he used to be less optomistic.

When Amit left, I started to go out for dinner, but then I decided just to eat at my hotel. I ordered Dal Makhani and had it on the veranda. I think I have had the dish once before, but it was so good tonight. It is black lentils cooked with butter, peppers, etc., so that they are in a thick, creamy sauce. I had two pieces of roti flat bread with it. Ummmm.

Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2008--Jaipur

It's good I was unable to get my train ticket for going to Mumbai today. There is a nationwide general strike. Many planes, trains, buses, etc., have been halted. Some people have been stranded on trains that have been stopped and not allowed to go further. They must be miserable. I think even the workers on those trains are on strike.

I slept later than yesterday. The hotel is so quiet and comfortable. Then I watched TV news. Finally, I bathed around 10:30. Now it is noon and I am at the cyber cafe. I will eat a snack, then I will return to the hotel to read more this afternoon.

With that schedule, I passed my last chance to see the Taj Mahal today. I could have taken an early bus to Agra, seen the building, and taken a bus back this evening. But I just know going there will be a hassle. There will be touts to bother me, there will be a high admission price that is much greater than locals pay, etc. I can live a good life without having seen the Taj Mahal. Since I probably will not return to India again, that will likely be the case.

No comments: