Friday, August 08, 2008

Delhi

Wednesday, Aug. 6, 2008--Bangkok (Continued)

Returned to my room and washed a couple of shirts and my shorts. Then I just relaxed inside the rest of the afternoon. Went to the area Night Market in the evening and ate fried rice with chicken for dinner.

Thursday, Aug. 7, 2008--Bangkok to Delhi

I had my last breakfast at the hotel today. I will miss them, but I imagine I have been gaining some weight while staying here and eating so much each morning.

I also finished reading Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. I had picked it up at my guest house in Mae Sariang and had been reading it slowly. It was quite interesting, since I have seen 2-3 of the movies but have never read the original source. As with so many stories, there was more to the book than has been in most of the movies. I gave the book 3 stars out of 4.

My experiment works. The bus stops at a number of bus stops on the way to the airport, including one near the MRT Subway Station at Asoke and Rama IX. It will make it easier to get to the airport in the future if I stay in the same area where I have been staying.

My plane arrived in Delhi about 30 minutes early. It was only about 60% full, so I had plenty of room to relax. I am staying with my friend Anil whom I've known a little over a year. He came to the airport to pick me up, but he wasn't there when I was ready to exit. I was surprised to find that there were three exits for passengers, so I needed to call Anil and make arrangements to meet at one of them. He has only lived in Delhi a few months, so he didn't know the international terminal and how it is arranged. Nikhil, a manager for Oberi Hotels was in the lobby and helped me. About 15 mintues later, Anil arrived where we had arranged. I saw him before he saw me. Soon his driver came around with the car and we headed out of the airport.

Anil has a nice apartment in southern New Delhi. It's in a gated compound and has high ceilings, terrazo flooring, two bedrooms, two baths, etc. We ate a snack and visited for a while. But he was tired from a long day of work (as a sales representative for an international power broker) and I was tired from my flight and the change in time zones.


Friday, Aug. 8, 2008--Delhi

Anil had to work today. But he did some work via computer from the apartment for the first part of the morning. His maid came and prepared lunch. He left about 10:30 and told me to have lunch later and then put the leftovers in the refrigerator. It was delicious--beans, rice, and a spicy vegetable.

I remained in the apartment much of the day. It is the monsoon season here, so there were rains. The TV reported some heavy flooding in the downtown area. Out here, there are some big puddles along the sides of the streets, but the rain hasn't been that heavy. I am now across the street at a cyber cafe. It's more expensive than I am used to using, so I will have to find another one before I post again.

No comments: