Friday, June 06, 2008

HOT and HUMID!

Thursday, June 5, 2008--Bacolod (Continued)

Thunderstorms were still around, so I couldn't go far for dinner. I found a garden restaurant just a block from my hotel. It is open-air and built with bamboo posts and railings. The walls (only up high) are made of woven reeds or fronds. The roof consists of palm fronds. The place specializes in barbecued chicken which is considered a specialty here. I ordered two chicken breasts and a serving of garlic rice. I was surprised that the breasts were large, since most chicken I have had on this trip has been of the scrawny kind! The breasts were juicy and tasty with a bit of a sweet sauce on them. It was one of the better meals I have had on this trip.

The sky was dark with lots of lightening. Fortunately, I made it back to my hotel before any rain came. I spent the evening reading and watching TV.

Friday, June 6, 2008--Bacolod

Today is the anniversary of Arne's stroke four years ago. Tuesday will be the anniversary of his death.

I started trying to plan my finances today, since I will be leaving the country Sunday and want to have enough, but not too much, money to meet my needs. I took my laundry to a nearby place and left it. I paid my hotel bill through Saturday night, my last night to stay here. I checked on the Internet to make sure of the price of the airport exit fee I must pay in Cebu. I know from yesterday what will be needed for the bus/ferry to get me to the airport. And I have a general estimate of what a taxi will cost me to the airport from the bus station in Cebu. Otherwise, I must account for my general expenses for each day--dinner, water/colas, Internet, etc. Now that I have all that information, I must go to an ATM and make a final withdrawal. I have less than 300 pesos in my pocket, and the expenses will come to at least 1750, so I will withdraw 1500, I guess.

It is still so hot and humid that it is miserable trying to go too far outside. Today, I checked out two old homes. Bacolod was the center for sugarcane production for many years and was a rather rich city because of it. At least there were several rich families due to it. Their homes are among the sites here and in area towns that are tourist sites.

I also saw a museum exhibit today about the leading women in the history of Bacolod. Each woman had her own exhibit that included one of her fancy dresses, a portrait of her, her dressing table with personal items, and other momentos of hers. The dresses were unbelievably fancy. They must have been very expensive ones. For 2-3 of them, the dress on exhibit was the same one that she was wearing in the portrait on exhibit. That made it more interesting. Another exhibit of the museum was old photos of the city--government buildings, schools, cinemas, etc. I always enjoy seeing such photos when I have been to a place.

No comments: