Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Going to the Countryside

Monday, June 2, 2008--Dumaguete (Continued)

After leaving the Internet Cafe, I walked to a restaurant near the university that was recommended by my guidebook. I was surprised to see that they had pancit bihon which I had been trying to find since arriving here. The portions were small, so I ordered 2 portions which filled a small oval platter. It was good, but it could have used more of the "good" ingredients; it was mostly rice noodles. I also got a serving of flan which was absolutely delicious. All that cost only about $1.50!!

I walked along the waterfront again. So many people are out there every night. And tonight, many students were among them. The university here is in an ideal location. It is only about 2 blocks from downtown and two blocks from the seaside promenade. Also, there are two side streets that come along the edge of the campus that provide strips of speciality shops and restaurants that cater to the students.

I haven't mentioned it yet, but many people where I have been on the trip here in the Philippines call me "Joe." It comes from WWII when there were so many GI Joes here in the area. When I came to the Philippines in the 1960s, it was very common for western men to be called Joe. But most of the people today were not alive during WWII. It's interesting that the tradition has survived down here, since I didn't observe it much when I returned to Luzon a few years ago.

Tuesday, June 3, 2008--Dumaguete and Dauin

I took a jeepney to Dauin this morning. I had a problem at first, because I could not find the jeepneys going to Dauin. Then I realized that many of the jeepneys were going to a town beyond there. When I asked, they said that they stop in Dauin and that I could ride that far with them.

Dauin is a small town known mainly for its Saturday market and for its beaches. I went just for an outing to see the beaches and to relax. I first walked through the town and saw their old church which has not been well maintained. It has small trees growing out of its towers. Then I walked to the beach. It's a pretty curved beach with trees to provide nearby shade. The sand is a bit coarse, and it was HOT from the sunshine. I walked to an area where I could see children playing in the water. There, I found a piece of driftwood in the shade and sat and watched. There were men behind me playing some kind of board game. And there was a big picnic set up under a pavilion nearby. Later, I learned it was for a birthday party and that the children in the water were a part of that group.

I was surprised to see another westerner there at the beach, too. He must live there, since he had a large dog with him. He looked to be in his 40s when I first saw him. That was because he was slender and had a modern haircut. But later when he was playing with the dog, I could tell he was much older. His muscles were rippled, though including down his back. I would guess that he is about 70 (based on his posture which had an obvious curvature of the spine toward the top of his back). With his muscle development, he was like Jack LaLayne, the American TV fitness guru who has been on TV for at least 60 years or more.

Back in the town of Dauin, I stopped at the park and sat in the shade of a gazebo. I watched some guys who were cleaning up the growth along the edges of the town tennis courts while enjoying the breezes that were coming through. A nearby man approached and talked to me a while. He has been to Sweden several times, since his sister is a nurse there. But I got the impression he is a bit of a deadbeat. He is 33 and didn't seem to have a job. His sister had paid for his trips to Europe.

This is my last night in Dumaguete. I will take a bus to Bacolod tomorrow. It is the capital of Negros Occidental. Dumaguete is the capital of Negros Oriental. Unfortunately, it will be a trip of 6-8 hours on the bus. But Bacolod is my last stop here in the Philippines. After 4 days there, I will head back to Cebu and catch my plane for Seoul where I will transfer to another plane for Beijing.

No comments: