Monday, August 25, 2014

Beautiful Day in a Very Nice City

Monday, Aug. 25, 2015--Kosice

It was sunny all day today, and I took advantage of it.  I had to leave my hotel by 10:00, but my new place, the Colosseo Residence, stored my luggage while I went out and about.

I walked back up and down the main street that runs the entire length of the Old Town.  I then wandered up and down the side streets including the wonderful narrow street named Hrnciarska.  I took photos of the St. Elizabeth's Cathedral and its adjoining St. Michael's Chapel.  I sat with many others to listen to the music and watch the water fountains in front of the State Theater that danced to the music.  I studied to plague column from 1723 wondering why it showed only angels and did not show any agony. 

For some time, I sat in the sunshine and read from the novel I am now reading.  Then I headed for the outer fringes of the Old Town where the museums, the Philharmonic Hall, and the colosseums (and older one and a newer one) are located.  I thought the name, Steel Colosseum seemed appropriate for the newer one because of the materials used in the design.  Then I noticed the USS symbol on the building.  I had seen a mine in the outer areas of the city, so I guess that US Steel has a mine here, since it is the named sponsor of the facility. 

At 14:00, I went to my new apartment at the Colosseo Residence Apartments.  The old hotel room was brighter, but this is an entire apartment with a bedroom loft.  It is much bigger and is actually located in the loft level of the building with slanted ceilings.  I can look out one of my skylights to see the stone detail that serves as special decor for the outer facade of the building.  Furthermore, the apartment is 10 Euros cheaper per night than the hotel room was and has hundreds of international channels on its cable TV. 

I had thought of going to see Circus Ales tonight.  I had seen its posters around town.  I walked out to the suburbs to where it was located, but I was hungry and the entrance price posted at the circus was 3 times the price they had published on their posters.  If I could have spoken the language, I would have asked for the lower price.  Instead, I realized it is just a one-ring circus and probably no better than the Mexican one-ring circus which is located several weeks a year just 1 mile (2 km) from my apartment in San Antonio.  I walked back into the city and bought groceries to have a quiet evening inside the apartment.


No comments: