Wednesday, August 20, 2014

50% Chance of Rain Forecast Changed to Sun for Me!

Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2014--Warsaw to Krakow

I can see why it was easy for the Germans to overrun Poland in one night at the beginning of WWII; it's mostly a flat country.  How they moved fast enough to do it, however, is another question.  Wes' bus trip to Berlin was 9 hours long!!  And my train trip which covered about 1/3 of the distance across Poland (going north to south) took 3 1/2 hours. 

My apartment here in Krakow is very conveniently located.  It is just 2 1/2 blocks from the train station/bus station/shopping complex, and it is a quick walk to the Old Town (just on the other side of that complex).  When I arrived, the host had just finished washing the floors and they were drying.  She had a renter for a month who moved out this morning.

The forecast had called for a 50% chance of precipitation today here.  When I arrived at 13:45, it was sunny and warm, and it stayed that way for the rest of the day.  As soon as I put things away, I headed for town.  I explored all the streets of the Old Town and its central square which is the largest in Europe.  I walked into a few of the churches.  I hiked up to Wawel Castle to see its grounds and exterior.  I watched people everywhere.  I heard some entertainment (bands, singers, etc.) both on stages and performing for tips on the square.  It was a pleasant afternoon.

My impression of Krakow is that the Old Town is nice.  However, it is not as impressive in LOOKS as other old towns I have seen.   What makes it special is that it is almost completely in tact and that it was never destroyed and rebuilt in recent times; it's original from hundreds of years ago. 

Among my thoughts today as I wandered around town was that it is better for me to take an around-the-world trip than it is for me to take a long holiday within one region.  Everything is looking similar everywhere.  I am tired of European churches, European art, European city museums, European town squares, etc.  With an around-the-world trip, I may stay 6 weeks in Asia, 6 weeks in Europe, 6 weeks in South America, etc.  And the areas within those continents that I visit may vary quite a bit.  Today, however, I kept thinking:  Do I really want to go to the trouble to try to go inside Wawel Castle?  To do so requires studying about 7 separate areas to determine which interest me the most.  Then tickets must be bought in advance that require visiting at a certain hour during the day.  So a whole day could be wasted waiting in line for tickets and then waiting for visiting times.  And then it would be ANOTHER European castle!

I'm going to sleep on it.


No comments: