Sunday, May 29, 2011

Returning Home

Saturday, May 28, 2011--Playa del Carmen, Mexico, to San Antonio, Texas

The alarm was needed to get us up early enough to be ready for our 7:20 bus to the Cancun airport.  I had bought pastries last night, so we each had a muffin while waiting for the bus.

Check-in and customs/immigration procedures at the airport when faster and smoother than expected.  We probably could have taken the 8:00 bus, but my flight was at 10:56 and I didn't want to have to worry about being in a rush or possibly missing the flight.

Wes' flight wasn't until 12:05, although there was also a Houston-bound flight also leaving at 10:56.  I suggested that he go to see if they would put him on it, since he only had an hour between flights in Houston to go through customs/immigration there and change terminals.  I don't know if he did it or not.

Another dilemma he faced is that he had 113 pesos left to spend, yet what he wanted for a lunch was a slice of pizza and a drink for 115 pesos!  He could get a burger and half fries/half onion rings at another place for 110 pesos, but that wouldn't include a drink.   He was already behind security, so he had thrown away his water; that made the first offer sound better considering that only purchased water is potable within the airport.  I encouraged him just to ask someone in line if they had an extra 2 pesos (about 18 cents US).

I was the only passenger in first class on my flight.  It seemed strange being up there all alone.  I was happy to get the warm meal, however--shrimp bisque, burrito, fruit salad, and chocolate candy.  We zoomed along and got to San Antonio about 20 minutes early.  Fortunately, everyone from the AeroMexico flight that had recently arrived was already cleared out of customs/immigration, so it took only a few minutes to get my bag and get checked out of there.  It's so much easier to go through San Antonio than Houston.  I heard some fellow passengers who had purposely booked themselves through here commenting about that.

Having been gone for nine weeks, I was ready to return home.  It will be my first summer in Texas in 7 years, and I had been gone for summers the previous 4 years before that.  I know it will be hot, but I will have a chance to do some of those things I haven't done in all these years.  For instance, I am looking forward to going swimming at the pool at San Pedro Springs.  Also, the Texas Folklife Festival in June is one of my favorite San Antonio festivals, and I have been missing it all these years.

1 comment:

Scott said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog, Randy...and we're glad you're back home!