Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Hot and HUMID!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011--Livingston, Guatemala

There were thunderstorms that started in the early morning hours and continued until about 9:30.  The air remained muggy and hot for the rest of the day.

I went out exploring for about two hours near noon.  I stopped at a small restaurant and had a nice plate of rice and beans with a chicken leg and cole slaw.  Then I stopped at a bakery for a sweet roll.  The air was just too miserable for me to want to wander anywhere, though, so I returned to the room for the afternoon.

When I went back out in the evening, the town was alive again.  Today is Mother's Day in Guatemala.   Two large restaurants were both full of mothers having a night out together--no fathers or children other than infants, just the mothers.  It was nice to see.  There is also a big event tonight at a gymnasium.  I'm not sure if it is related to Mother's Day or what.  But the building is full of people, and there is a live band playing.  There are also more tourists wandering about town tonight than there were yesterday.

This would be a good place to have a fellow traveler.  Most of the things to do here would be more enjoyable  with another person.  But it has great atmosphere for tourists.  It is a bit like a Caribbean Port Aransas.

No comments: