Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Transition from Campeche to Palenque

Tuesday, Mar. 29, 2011--Campeche to Palenque

Got out of the room at 9:00 so that the temperatures would be more reasonable for walking to the bus station and so that I would have time to get some food at a small place I had seen near the station. As I walked up to the place operated by one woman and having only two tables, I noticed that "huevos" was painted on the front of the building along with other offerings. I finally got my eggs! I ordered them with chorizo. They looked great with no floating grease. Beside them was a serving of refried black beans. Added to the table were red and green hot sauces, a bowl of fresh pico de gallo, and a plate of corn tortillas. It was delicious, especially with the green sauce and pico de gallo. The tortillas, like many in Mexico, were very thin and almost crusty along the edges. I get better ones in San Antonio.

There were quite a few tourists on the bus. A German couple about my age was in front of me. A young British couple was across the aisle from me. I didn't talk to any of them. I napped about half the way, and I read much of the rest of the way. The trip was 5 1/4 hours.

As everyone else paused to decide what to do, I rushed from the bus station using the "map in my head." For some reason, I couldn't find the hotel I wanted in the area where it was supposed to be, and no one in the block recognized the name. So I headed two blocks away to my second choice. I got a room there with no problem. It's a bit of a come-down from my 4-star room in Campeche, but I am only paying about 40% of the cost of the room in Campeche. However, it has all the essentials plus more--hot water, a/c, cable TV, wifi, etc. It's just a bit smaller and a bit plainer. Their website expired Mar. 18 and has not yet been renewed, so I cannot send a link.

I ate a torta for dinner. Then I stopped at a bakery and bought a coconut empanada. Being outside is not pleasant, however. Besides being hot and humid, there is no breeze here. Will try to go to the ruins early tomorrow. Otherwise, I don't know how I would bare the heat. Got a 5 liter bottle of water on my way back to the room.

No comments: