Thursday, July 05, 2007

Sluggish Days in Indonesia

Thursday, July 5, 2007--Malang

Today is the first day I have had no fever with its related aches and pains. But my sinuses have geared back up into active gear with lots of nasal congestion and lots of drainage into my throat. It just seems that this flu will never end. It's not as bad for me as it is for some others, though. The lady in the room next to mine at my hotel hasn't been out of the room for three days. I keep hearing her cough, and it is a horrible growling cough that sounds so uncomfortable.

I finished reading Grange House by Sarah Blake. It's different from most of the books I read. First, it is a Victorian romance novel that takes place in Maine. Added to that is that it is a mystery story with hints of the supernatural. It is very well written in what I assume to be reliable conversation language for the upper class of that period. I gave it 3 1/2 stars out of 4.

I like Malang. It's a pretty town and is rather laid back and relaxed. It has several major universities. They are all on summer break now, but the English majors are all maning the tourist offices. I stopped several times to get information yesterday, including a suggestion that I have soto for lunch. It is a soup with rice, noodles, chicken, broth, and chile sauce that is very tasty. I bought it at a street wagon and sat on a plastic stool on the street to eat it. Many people looked at me and smiled. It was obvious that they liked seeing the tourist eating the way they do!

I also asked them to tell me where to get a haircut. I've been needing one for a couple of weeks. To get by, I trimmed a little around the ears just before leaving Taiwan. Then I didn't see any barber shops when I first got to Bali. Later, I was sick and didn't feel like having it cut. Anyway, today, the students sent me to a local barbershop where it was cut for about 90 cents U.S. I could have gone to a style shop and had it cut and blow dried for $1.50, but I usually get a woman at a place like that and I always feel that a man does a better job on the back edge of my head. Women often like to leave too much hair there, because that is what THEY want on the back of their necks.

I went back for a massage at the Center for the Blind. I was disappointed this time, however. The masseur just wasn't as good as the one yesterday. When I left, I asked the lady at the desk if I could get the same guy from my first trip there if I return tomorrow. I think she understood me. I'll find out tomorrow, anyway.

I washed some laundry today. Because I've been sick, everything has been backing up. Now all my clothes are clean again.

I decided to stop at McDonald's last night to see what people were eating, since there was a huge crowd there. No one was getting a burger. They were all ordering the same thing--a piece of fried chicken with a mound of rice wrapped in burger wrapping paper and a drink. I wonder if McDonald's is halal? I ask because most people there were muslim. Almost every woman had a head covering.

No comments: