Monday, July 30, 2007

Back in Bangkok

Saturday, July 28, 2007--Penang, Malaysia

I slept 11 hours lasts night. I had lots of dreams--being somewhere with Arne, teaching, etc. It was nice seeing Arne walking around, smiling, talking to others. It was HORRIBLE to be teaching!

I walked to the colonial center of Penang this morning. I went to the Penang State Museum, Little India, etc. I had been at the museum before, but I didn't realize it until I was back inside. There has been much restoration in the colonial area and along the streets lined with Chinese-style shops with homes above in the older parts of Penang since I was here before.

Heavy rain came before I got back to the hotel. REALLY heavy rain. And it didn't seem that it would stop, so finally I raised my umbrella and headed out into it. By the time I got to the hotel, I was soaking wet below the waist. I had to wring out my socks and my pants legs before hanging them to dry.

I got a very upsetting e-mail when I went out tonight. The title company in Houston that the agent is using for selling my two condos there has lost the power of attorney that I signed and sent them so that my sister could sign the paperwork for me at closing. They just casually sent another form and told me to print it, go to a U.S. embassey or consulte and get it notarized, and send it back to them via overnight mail. I went BALLISTIC! First, I was in a remote part of the world. The U.S. does not have embasseys and consulates just everywhere. And since the Lebonese embassey bombing and 9/11, it isn't possible to just walk into a U.S. embassey. It is a real hassle to go to one to get anything done. Second, I wondered if they had first gone through every active file they had processed since they received my form to try to find it. Of course, I'm sure they didn't. They wanted to throw the responsibility for THEIR error to be corrected onto my shoulders. And third, they didn't offer to pay the cost of the overnight delivery from Asia for the paperwork. If it costs $35 to send overnight within the U.S., can you imagine what it costs to send that way from Asia to the U.S.? I was ready to sue them if they didn't come up with a better way to deal with this problem. Because it has been a weekend, there has been no response from them yet (even though I am writing this on Monday night here in Asia--early Monday morning in the U.S.).

Sunday, July 29, 2007--Penang

I went out earlier today (at 9:30) in case the rains should arrive in the afternoon again today as they have for the past two days. I explored areas I already knew and new areas for a period of 4 hours. Penang is nice as I have said before. But visiting a place a second time just isn't as interesting and exciting as being there the first time. I'm already a bit bored here.

I returned to the hotel and read my newspaper in the afternoon. Then I finished reading The Piano Tuner by Daniel Mason. I have it 3 1/2 stars out of 4 and think it will make a great film.

I ate soup for dinner. None of the meals I have had in Malaysia have been as good as the ones that I had in Indonesia. I should have appreciated the food there more than I did. Food here is just a bit tasteless.

Monday, July 30, 2007--Penang to Bangkok

I didn't sleep well last night. I went to bed at 21:30. Then when I awoke and went to the bathroom around 2:30 in the morning, I began thinking about the problem with the paperwork for selling the condos in Houston. I couldn't get back to sleep. I never did. I eventually got up and did things around the room and then checked out of the hotel at 5:30, earlier than I had planned.

The flight to Bangkok was uneventful. It was quick getting into town because today is a holiday here. I was in my hotel within 2 hours of arriving at the gate. Usually, it takes at least 1 1/2 hours to take the main bus into town. I had to go through immigration, get my luggage, catch a shuttle bus to the airport station, catch the main bus, then catch a secondary bus to get me to the front of the hotel. It's amazing that I did all of that in 2 hours!

I met a nice Italian couple on the main bus coming into town. We talked all the way. They are on their first trip to Thailand, but they are planning to move around too fast. They are leaving Bangkok tomorrow to go inland and will be back for only one more night. That really doesn't give them time to see all the wonderful temples and the royal palace here in town. Oh, and they should see the Jim Thompson house, a wonderful compound he built from old teak Thai houses that he moved into the city from the countryside. Also, they will miss the weekend market.

I've relaxed most of the day. A teacher I've been writing (mathematics and English) who is from the Philippines and is teaching in a nearby town came into town and visited with me for a while in the afternoon. It was fun to talk to someone from the Philippines again. And it was nice to talk to a math teacher, too.

Spending Updates: I spent $1058.63 over 39 days in Indonesia for an average of $27.14 per day. The Indonesian amount would have been less, but it includes two visits to doctors, physical therapy treatments, lots of medications, and 4 air flight tickets I bought to get me from island to island. I spent $117.45 over 3 days in Malaysia for an average of $39.15 per day. Since leaving Texas, I have spent $2739.79 over 76 days for an average of $36.05 per day.

No comments: