Thursday, November 09, 2006

Sunny Cool Days

Sunny Cool Days

Monday, Nov. 6, 2006--Coimbatore (Cont.)

This is a horrible town for tourists. It is spread out, has wide streets with lots of traffic, has very polluted air, and has no processes to make it easy for pedestrians to cross intersections--no lights, no overhead walkways, etc. I went to a Chinese place after leaving the cyber cafe and ate Shanghai chicken with steamed rice. It was good, but the meal cost 1/2 the price of my room for the night!!

I figured out why I was feeling weak. It's because I have only eaten one meal a day for about 4 days in a row. I've had a side snack occasionally, but nothing nutricious. I gulped down my meal tonight. It was so good, and I was so hungry.

Spending Update: In the first 37 days in India, I spent $382.95 for an average of $10.35 per day. Since leaving the U.S., I have now spent $1483.87 for and average of $18.32 per day.

Tuesday, Nov. 7, 2006--Coimbatore to Ooty

My room included breakfast, so I had an omelette. It wasn't very good, because it was just eggs with nothing added. But I smeared some green chile sauce on it and made the most of it.

The bus station was across the street from my hotel, so I was there by 8:45 and caught a bus to Ooty immediately. I got a good seat and found a good place to store my luggage so I could watch it. As usual when going to a hill station, the road twisted and winded with lots of hairpin curves. Often, we had to stop as another bus or truck passed within a fingers width of us. It's a scary experience sometimes.

Ooty is similar to Kodaikkanal where I was in the mountains earlier. It has a lake. And it is a town where the British had their summer houses. It has a nice private school that has been in existance for over 100 years and draws kids from other areas of the country. (The boys and the girls at the school both wear dark suits with ties.)

I checked into a hotel recommended by my guidebook, but I am regretting it. The room is very cold. The carpeting is rather dirty. There is cable for the TV, but the TV itself only has 12 pre-selected channels that can be received.

I went to a halal place and had a late lunch. I had chicken masala with naan. It was tasty. Then I explored the town some. After I went back to the hotel, I just stayed inside for the night rather than go out in the cold.

Wednesday, Nov. 8, 2006--Ooty

I was COLD last night. My feet never felt warm. I used two blankets, but the weave of them seemed to let the cool air just flow through. I put the extra pillow over my feet, but it didn't help. Then this morning the promised hot water in the shower was better described as "not cold." It was cooler than it was warm. I was miserable all night and in the shower and will find another hotel today.
____
Well, I did it. I found another hotel. It costs 50% more than the previous place, but it is nicer. It is on a hillside with a view, it's away from the roads and quiet, it is new and clean, the TV is modern with a remote control, and the hot water steams! Still, it is only about $13 per night.

The daytime air here is so nice (except on the major streets where there is major air pollution). The sun has been shining to give a warmth to it so that I don't feel cold. I wandered through town exploring--past the race track, the bus station, the private school, some nice old British colonial buildings, etc.

I stopped at a Chinese place for lunch that was recommended by my guidebook. I ate fried rice with chicken and pork. The chicken was shredded and flavorful, and the pork was nice and lean. I ate lots of chile sauce with it and downed a whole liter of water.

I returned to the hotel, and it started showering just as I got there around 2:30. I watched TV and fell asleep for a short nap. Later, I just decided not to leave the room. I ate some Indian snack mix I had in my luggage and stayed under the covers to keep warm as I watched TV and/or read.

I finished reading White Teeth by Zadie Smith. When it came out several years ago, I remember reading the rave reviews and telling myself to remember to read it someday. It's about immigrants to London from Bangladesh and from Jamaica and their interactions with
British people and society. It's a good story and is told in a unique and refreshing way. I gave it 3 1/2 stars out of 4.

Thursday, Nov. 9, 2006--Ooty

I was surprised to see that I had slept 11 hours last night. I had no idea I was so tired. But the new hotel is so comfy. I just snuggled under the covers and relaxed, I guess.

I took the bus to Dodabetta Junction this morning--about 10 km (6 miles) out of town. Then I hiked back to town down a trail through the mountains. It was a good hike. I was all alone, and there were no vehicles to worry about. It was nice to be in a peaceful environment and to think. Also, it was nice to see the trees, the flowers, the birds, etc. I got back to town just in time for lunch around 1 p.m.

I ate at an interesting restaurant. The interior walls and ceilings were covered with woven straw mats with colorful patterns. It gave me the impression of being in a giant, colorful tent. I ordered butter chicken and plain rice. The chicken was the closest to the recipe I have cooked of any that I have had anywhere else in India. It was good.

No comments: