Thursday, November 30, 2006

Bangalore, The Last Stop in India

Bangalore, The Last Stop in India

Tuesday, Nov. 28, 2006--Hyderabad to Bangalore (Cont.)

I walked to the Public Gardens, a nearby park to spend the afternoon after being on the Internet and then eating Chinese noodles again for lunch. I sat in the shade of a tree beside a lake and read from my present novel. For a while I visited with a young man who was also there. He said I was the first foreigner who had spoken to him. He said he had tried talking to foreigners before and that they wouldn't talk to him. My bet is that they thought he was trying to be a guide or to sell them something. Anyway, I'm glad it was a positive experience for him.

I returned to the hotel and got my luggage at 6:00. Then I was at the bus station at 6:10. The mini-van arrived at 6:35 and took us to the edge of town where we were met by the bus. It's not as impressive as it should be. First, it's not as new as they implied it would be. And second, there is no place for luggage except overhead or under the seat. Fortunately, my small suitcase just barely fit under the seat and left just a little leg room for me to sit okay. The man sitting in front of me is one of those who likes to move his seatback back as far as it will go and do it quickly without looking to see if it will create a problem. Of course, when it is that far back, there is hardly any room for me to maneuver.

The ride during the night was rough. I had hoped there might be a nice highway between Hyderabad and Bangalore, but there isn't. It's rough, bumpy, and generally miserable for those who have to travel over it.

Wednesday, Nov. 29, 2006--Bangalore

The night wasn't as bad as I had feared at the beginning. I slept some. And the hours passed. There were plenty of stops for the toilet, and we stopped once for a meal.

We arrived in Bangalore at 8 a.m. in the area near the train station and bus terminal. This is the area with the budget hotels, too. But the more active part of town is about 5 km east from there. Because hotels in India are on a 24-hour checkout system (meaning you have to check out at 8 a.m. if you check in at 8 a.m.), I wasn't in a hurry to check into a room. I decided to walk to the center of town and check out the hotels there that my guidebook recommended before deciding whether to stay there or to return to the train station area. It was a nice walk through a big park, by some impressive governmental buildings, through a newly developing area with fancy shops and office buildings, etc. But the hotel rooms were over-priced and depressing. I could tell they were quoting a price far higher than they could get for the rooms. And I didn't want to spend my last 6 days in a dark, dirty, depressing hotel room. I returned to the train station area.

It took 3 tries, but I found a nice hotel in that area that is quiet, clean, and bright. It's at the top of my budget range: 600 rupees ($13 U.S.). I checked in at 10:30. I immediately took a nap. About 1 p.m., I forced myself awake from a deep sleep. I went out to explore the neighborhood and to have lunch. I ate pav bhavi, the same vegetable mixture (red peppers, garlic, tomatoes, etc.) with buns warmed on the griddle, that I had a week or so ago at the tea shop in Bijapur. It was really garlicy this time!!

After lunch, I wandered the streets and found a cyber cafe. Then when I tried to find my way back, I realized I was lost. My map in my guidebook has this area on a big map showing most of the inner city. Therefore, there are no details; it shows only a few major streets. I guessed which way to come. When I thought I might be near, I asked someone for the street of my hotel, and I was only 3 blocks away.

When I went out in the evening, I concentrated to learning the neighborhood. I went to a Chinese restaurant I had seen in the afternoon. I ordered two things I had never eaten before: sour and pepper soup and chicken in green sauce (along with white rice). The soup was a rich, heavy broth with chicken, egg, shredded carrots, fresh parsley leaves, etc. It was delicious. The chicken dish was a little bland. But the sauce was made with fresh leaves of some kind. It was a dark, bright green sauce. I have no idea what the leaves were that gave it its color and taste.

I returned to the room for an early bedtime, because I was tired from lack of sleep on the bus last night. I watched a little TV. But I didn't stay up late.

Thursday, Nov. 30, 2006--Bangalore

I walked into the downtown area again today. Bangalore is nicer than most places in India. There are many stylish stores, restaurants, etc. The city itself has lots of green areas. There are no cows on the streets. There are nice sidewalks. And many of the intersections have pedestrian crossing lights--something very unusual in India.

I wanted to go to Lufthansa to get my seat assignment for my return flight home. I went to the street where their city office should be, but couldn't find it. I walked the steet twice. From there, I went to the tourist office and asked them for the address. All they had was the street where I had been. But then they called around and found that they only have an airport desk now. They called about 4 numbers trying to reach Lufthansa while I was there, and none worked. I had seen a Thai Airlines office yesterday, so I walked to there. They have given me another number which I will try tomorrow unless I decide to go to the airport on my own.

I stopped at an Italian place for lunch. I had Pizza a la Rustica. It was okay, but it wasn't anything special. It needed more seasoning, I think. But it was a clean, nice place.

No comments: