Thursday, December 29, 2005

Winter in Copenhagen

Tuesday, Dec. 27, Copenhagen (Part II)

It snowed off and on all day. Sometimes it was quite heavy with huge flakes. The temperature hovered just above freezing so that the roads stayed safe and clear. It was fun to watch it fall, however. An even biger storm is expected on Thursday with the temperature staying below freezing.

The dinner went well, although Grethe was nervous about it in advance. She kept worrying that things should be started earlier than necessary. Helle was sick and couldn't come. But Morten, Ejgil and Preben were here. I made guacamole, chips, and bloody marys as a beginning appetizer/drink. Then we had duck-vegetable soup as the first course with Italian bread. For the main meal, we had roasted chicken seasoned with paprika, garlic and butter which was servecd with basmati rice, green beans, and a white basil sauce. Afterwards, we had chocolates, cookies, and coffee. Because E & P live about 1 1/2 hours away by train, they had to leave at 10:00 to make the last train home. Morten left about 30 minutes later, since tomorrow is a work day for him.

Wednesday, Dec. 28, Copenhagen

I took the bus at 10:00 to Evy's and Arvind's apartment. Oh, it was cold outside with a blowing wind! Then we all took another bus to Café Kronborg where Anita was celebrating her 50th birthday. It's a basement restaurant with thick walls, old pictures, a fireplace that had a live fire, and lots of atmosphere in general.

Many people were there. I saw Annie and her son Tony who I hadn't seen for two years. I sat with Poul and Birte who usually take care of me at these events. Birte has finished law school and is now an assistant to one of the judges in a court. Poul's friend Bo was there and sat with us with his girfriend who is originally from Austin.

I returned to the apartment and napped during the afternoon. Then Grethe and I prepared dinner for Jens and Robert. It was almost the same menu as last night, except that she made fruit salad for dessert and we had vermouth rather than bloody marys for the before-dinner drink. They arrived on time. It was good to see them. They stayed until 10:00, leaving then due to Grethe dhaving to get up early for work and out of fear that the snow storm everyone is expecting might arrive at any time.

Thursday, Dec. 29, Copenhagen

There's been a major snow storm today. Snow has fallen all day and is thick on the ground, the cars, etc. I'm so glad I could stay inside and just enjoy watching it through the windows. Evy called to cancel the trip to their summer house saying it would be too dangerous to go.

I stayed indoors and read both a book and on the Internet. I researched hotels where I might stay inh Lisbon and found 4 possibilities ranging from $43 to $63 per night. I'll decide on one in a day or two and make a reservation.

I also made some phone calls today. I reached several people and was able to catch up on what is happening in their lives.

Grethe got home at 3:30. We had coffee and pastries and watched the 3rd part of Angels in America. We had leftovers for dinner--the chicken with a curry sauce, potatoes, etc. I'm gappy we didn't have to go out into the snow storm tonight.

No comments: