Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Snow and Arne's Birthday

Monday, Dec. 26, Copenhagen (Part II)

I like Jens' and Robert's new apartment. Their things fit well together in it. Also, it is so roomy and airy compared to their previous apartments. There's lots of light coming in.

Old Grethe looks good. She is healthy other than her problems with macular degeneration. She seems to be adapting to that. She gets talking books on CD from the library sent to her and has a special machine for playing them. And she has begun to limit her life to the area very near her apartment.

It was the first time for Nurse Grethe and Old Grethe to meet, although they had both heard about each other from Arne and me before. They liked each other. I thought they would. Nurse rethe had a good time looking at all the paintings on the walls. And both of them shared their experiences related to visiting Texas.

It was a night of tradition and memories for me. Grethe served her homemade cake and cookies which she usually serves. And for dinner, we had her Danish matballs with potatoes and parsley sauce. She made an apricot-apple compote for dessert which we ate with cream. It was both an enjoyable and a sad evening--enjoyable being there, seeing Grethe again, eating her traditional foods, etc. And, of course, it was sad because we can never be together without missing Arne.

Tuesday, Dec. 27 (Arne's Birthday), Copenhagen (Part I)

Grethe recorded the first segment of Angles in America and we watched it this morning. The other two parts will be on TV tonight and tomorrow, so we will see them, too.

My nose is slightly better. Maybe the snow has settled the allergins from the air. It snowed much of yesterday and is still snowing today. It's a light snow, so it isn't deep. I could breathe better while sleeping last night, though. For some reason, however, I have an upset stomach today. I just can't seem to be well while here. I've taken imodium for my stomach.

Today is Arne's birthday. I went to the cemetary and dusted the snow off his wreath and the ceramic angle. I miss him greatly and being here makes the feelings and memories be even more immediate.

Grethe and I have company coming tonight, so I have also been out shopping this morning. I'll prepare most of the meal, so I'll be busy all day. Of course, every day seems busy while I am here. I wish I could have 2-3 days with no commitments, but that's not possible.

No comments: