Thursday, October 13, 2005

School Update from India

Friday, Oct. 7, Kumbalam (Continued)

It’s evening now. Several things have happened:

I have my materials prepared for the workshop tomorrow, and I have prepared a plan to follow.
A parent came to complain about homework being given before a topic is taught, confirming what I had observed and discussed with Joseph earlier.
Two teachers gave Joseph information that indicates that the math teacher’s absence today may have been due to being tired from feeling like she was on the spot all week with my presence in the classroom. Another said that she had told her she would be at the training session tomorrow. Maybe that means she is not quitting; I hope so.
The English teacher DID think I might come to his village on Sunday. I asked if we could do it another weekend, since I understand from the kids that the Thomases are expecting us to come to their home this weekend. I HOPE I did it without hurting his feelings.

Saturday, Oct. 8, Kumbalam

I had misunderstood about the in-service session today. It wasn’t another school where we went. St. Joseph’s has a satellite campus in the old Portuguese section of Kollam. It is smaller and has a different atmosphere. We had the session there because most of the teachers come here by bus from Kollam; having the session there made it easier for Joseph to drive the 3 teachers who live here and to there and let the others who already live in the city make their way to that campus.

The session went fine, I think. At least everyone said it was. I know that Joseph and Rosalind, the principal, liked it. For the teachers, of course, it means that they will be expected to implement the planning. One who is a graduate of a teacher training problem told me it was the first time she had ever been taught how to plan a lesson.

Rosalind lives above the school annex where we were with her mother. Her mother prepared lunch for Joseph and me. It was delicious. There was a charcobroiled fish, rice, a yogurt-onion sauce, and various vegetables. Ummm!

That reminds me of breakfast. We had a special treat this morning—dosa (pancake) made with rice flour and filled with a sweet mixture of coconut, sugar, and cinnamon which is called “ada.” We also had a type of a black-eyed pea that had been cooked like beans.

There was a Parent-Teacher Association meeting back at the hostel at 2:30. Joseph introduced me to the parents there, then I left as they conducted their business in Malayalam (the local language). The driver took me to Kundara where I checked and wrote e-mail and updated my blog. It was so nice to be free for a while. I told them I would walk back to the hostel. After finishing at the cyber café, I walked slowly back toward the hostel saying hello to the people along the way who were surprised to see a westerner walking down their rural roads. Somewhere, I took a wrong turn and ended up on the other side of the lake. I took a bus back and soon figured out where I made the wrong turn. A little over half the way back, I saw the driver taking Rosalind to catch her bus. On his return, he picked me up and drove me the last quarter of the way.

We had thunderstorms tonight with large claps of thunder. The lights went off for about 5 minutes, and the kids were scared. The rain freshened the air, so we are all looking forward to a good night of sleep.

Sunday, Oct. 9, Kumbalam

I’ve just finished reading a manual for putting computers together. Joseph wants to buy kits that have all the unassembled parts and have me assemble them. That’s something I would enjoy doing. Buying the parts probably costs only about 2/3 what an assembled computer would cost, so he can get more computers for his money if we do this. He wants to make computers more available to the teachers for planning, but I doubt they willuse them unless they can have them at home. Then, it’s uncertain that they would use them for planning. Anyway, he will buy one kit for me. If it goes well, he will buy others and he and Jerry, our 14-year-old student will then learn from me how to put them together.

I’m forcing myself to drink more water. My urine is dark yellow and seems thick. I’m wondering if it could be because of the water. We use well water here. The cook boils it to make it safe to drink, and she puts cumin seeds in it (a local tradition). Anyway, the water is slightly cloudy. Unless there are minerals in it that are unsafe, there is no problem with it. Everyone drinks it here without getting sick. I think I’ll force myself to drink 1 ½ to 2 liters in one day and see what happens. If my urine is still dark then, I’ll know it is because of the water rather than because of not drinking enough water.

Josheph talked to me this morning. He had read my blog and was concerned. I usually do not share my blog address with people other than my closest family and friends, so I had not told him about it. I realized a week ago or so when I sent an e-mail to “Everyone” that he would now have the blog address. It’s fine for him to have it and read it. Just like everyone else, he will just have to accept that I don’t censor myself here.

We discussed my need for more freedom. He would like to set a schedule, but I can’t do that. A schedule still makes me feel trapped. I need to be able to just decide when I need freedom. Since I’m not a regular employee, that should not be a problem;, since no one should be depending on me as if I were one. As a volunteer, there should be some freedom. Of course, I want to help when there is a crisis and my presence can make it easier for everyone involved, I hope to be as flexible in my needs as I ask the school to be in terms of mine. Anyway, I told him I need to go to the cyber café about 3 times a week to communicate with others and that there may be times when I need to get away for longer times. At some point occasionally, I may feel the need to leave for 2-3 days to be on my own and then return. I’ve been independent too long to spend 2 ½ months staying here every night and never wandering on my own further than an hour or two walk away.

We discussed what I will do, too. He wants me to develop scope and sequence charts for the curriclua. That’s fine; it’s something I’m fiarly good at doing. I did point out, however, that I will have to have input from his teachers. I can’t make decisions about sequence for them. Furthermore, I don’t know the other subject areas as well as I know math, so I may even need help in determining what strands to use and where items belong in those strands. He said he would give me a schedule of the teachers’ “off” periods during the week and I will begin the process of developing the scope and sequence chart on Monday. I’m hoping he will go ahead and buy the parts for one computer and let me learn to put them together. Working on a scope and sequence chart is tedious. My eyes and my brain get tired after 2-3 hours. It would be nice to switch over to something completely different for a while. If not, however, I will just excuse myself and go walking for 30 minutes or so or go to my room and close my eyes and relax until I feel I can go back to the scope and sequence work.

Joseph and the kids have gone to visit the family of the son of a cousin of his who is visiting here from Washinton, DC. I was doing my laundry, so I told them to go without me. There is a concrete pallet in back and a hydrant for doing laundry. I used bar laundry soap that I already had from my last trip to India and a bucket borrowed from Joseph. Mainly, I needed to walk pants. I only have two pairs of pants. One pair was filthy, but I had worn them all week to save the other pair for the workshop yesterday. Now both pairs will be fairly clean for a while. I also washed socks and underwear and a t-shirt. Next week, all four of my knit shirts with collars will need to be washed, but I will wear them again this week before doing that.
_____
We were out all afternoon. First, we visited a cousin of Joseph’s who is recuperating from a broken hip. He was knocked over by a notorcyclists as he stepped out of an autorickshaw (tricycle cab). He had to have pins inserted into his broken hip. The surgery cost 60,000 rupees (about $1300) which doesn’t sound like much in a western country but is 13 times his montly teacher’s pension. A son in the U.S. wanted to come and see him, but the man pointed out that the money for the airfare would cover the cost of the surgery.

The relatives from Washington, D.C., came by while we were there, and we were all expected to eat. We had rice, chicken, and various vegetables and sauces. It was decicious, as usual.

Around 3:30, the visitors from D.C., the kids from the hostel, and Joseph and I went to his resort. It’s a family home he built several years ago for when they were visiting Kerala. It’s an impressive place on a point at an intersection of some of the back waterways here. In fact, my boat went right by it two years ago when I was here, and I think I have a photo of it at home in Texas. Now it is run as a resort. The website is:
http://www.kollamlakeviewresort.com
If someone wanted to come here and spend a week or a month relaxing, it would be a perfect place—somewhat like a place at Key Allegro in Rockport, TX, and only 3-4 minutes from downtown Kollam by public boats which run regularly. Being on a point, there are wonderful breezes. There’s cable TV, a basketball court, a veranda all the way around the house, fantastic views of the water and the coconut palm trees, etc. It can be arranged to have meals cooked there, too. But one could buy things and cook for themselves as well, I think.

On the way back to the compound, we passed festivals at both a Hindu temple and a Christian shrine. There were crowds and lights at both festivals. The Hindu festival had drummers in front to add to the excitement.

Everyone is tired tonight. While at the resort, we took a boat trip around the waterways. We stopped at a park for a while so the children could play. While at the park, Joseph got to see how easily I interact with people when I am on my own. A group of guys there were curious about me and crowded around. I took a photo, then I took two more at their request. They didn’t speak English, however, so Joseph, who had been wondering if I wanted rescuing, was able to see how easily I could handle the situation. Later, another two guys came to me. This time, they spoke English, so I was able to enjoy the visit without wanting to get away. The trip was a fun outing, but the kids were falling asleep as we returned. We all just waited for dinner before rushing to bed.

Monday, Oct. 10, Kumbalam (Mother’s Birthday)

Well, I had over half a liter of urine from the night and it was still dark yellow. I guess it’s just the water causing it rather than a lack of water.

I spent all morning mapping out the scope and sequence column for Standard (Grade) 4 today. It was so tedius and exhausting. By lunch (12:30), my mind was tired and my eyes were strained. I typed it in the afternoon, and it looks good.

The math teacher came to the office to show me the lesson plans she had done based on my workshop, and while she was there, I showed her what I was doing. I think both of us were pleased. I also heard that others had done plans and said that the plans had made their teaching easier today, but none of the others said anything to me. Joseph said they wanted me to hear indirectly because they didn’t feel their planning was up to my standards.

Joseph and I went to two computer stores today. We found that it is not worth trying to put the computers together ourselves. The labor costs only about $13 per machine here, and then it has a one-year warranty. We got a quote of about $300 per machine for a 40 GB with 128 MB of RAM and a 15 inch monitor. That includes on-site service for ayear. Two companies are sending representatives this week to see the situation on campus and make recommendations for us.

While we were out, Joseph and I had a couple of treats. First, we had a pineapple juice made fresh in the shop for 25 cents each. Then we had a scoopof mango ice cream for about 45 cents each. Both were delicious and refreshing.

Joseph likes bananas, so I asked if he had ever frozen bananas. I explained that you peel a ripe banana, wrap it in plastic wrap, and put it in the freezer. I told him they taste like banana ice cream after they freeze, so he wants to try them. We discovered, however, that plastic wrap is not available here. He said he had a couple of zip-lock baggies he brought from America, and I think they will work, too, if he squeezes most of the air out of them so that he avoids getting too many ice crystals forming. When the refrigerator is returned by the repairmen, we will try it. It was due to be delivered today, but it didn’t come. Now it will probably be after the holidays before it gets here.

Tuesday, Oct. 11, Kumbalam

I’m breaking rules today. First, I picked up a book and opened it. Now I am writing in a notebook. Today is a major Hindu holiday that is observed all over India. Everyone is expected to put away their “tools” and pray. Bricklayers put away their trowels, lawn cutters put away their sycles, students and teachers put away their books and pens, etc. Our cook who is Hindu is breaking the rules by not putting aside her pots and pans. Like most religious holidays everywhere, today most people do not pray; they use the holiday only as an excuse to get out of doing anything they don’t want to do. School is out today and tomorrow, but today is the big day which will be rather quiet. Tomorrow, things should be much more normal.

I’ve finished reading Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem. I really enjoyed it (3 stars out of 4). It’s very original with its comedy build around the outbursts of a character with Tourette’s Syndrone without making fun of him. I don’t usually care much for murder mysteries, but I would recommend this one to others.

A star player from a futbol (soccer) team came to coach the kids today. He only had about 45 minutes fee, but I think he is returning tomorrow, too. I could see that it helps them to have formal instruction. But I also saw happening what I have always hated about sports—humiliation in front of others for being late and forced running as a punishment. He did do one thing, however, that I thought was an improvement over what most coaches do. He let captains choose team members only until it got down to the last players; then he let those players decide which team they wanted to join.

After the practice, Joseph required that the kids spend about two hours cleaning the field. It had some areas where the weeds were taking over. Cleaning was done with bare hands and sycles. As usual, it was a chore to keep the kids on task.

Sometimes I feel sorry for the kids. Their schedule is filled from wake up to going to bed. There is an hour of free time scheduled right after school, but they seldom get it; instead they are asked to go ahead and start watering plants. I see children who live at home having free play time. That’s seldom an option here at the hostel.

I went walking in the village for about 50 minutes this afternoon. I went far down one road and turned back, then I did the same on another road. Being a holiday, it was quiet out. Several people said hello, however, including one young man who apparently cannot speak. Three children who go to this school walked with me some of the way and joined me again when I returned. They wanted me to go to their home with them. I tried to get them to understand that I didn’t want to surprise their mother by showing up unexpectedly.
____
I have been tired all day. I slept well last night, I think, but I keep feeling sleepy. I’m wondering if my blood pressure pills are working too well. I also felt light-headed a couple of times this morning when I bent down to do work on the play ground and stood up again.

Wednesday, Oct. 12, Kumbalam

I started getting a sore throat during the night, and the left side of my hose is stuffy today. Guess I’ll feel bad for about 4 days now. The cook felt bad over the weekend and was coughing Monday, so I probably got it from her.

It’s raining lightly today—the first day there has been rain since I got here. It has rained in the evenings, but has always stopped sometime during the night. The futbol star is here again to coach the kids, so they went onto the field in the rain.

I’ve gone back to reading Out of India: Selected Short Stories by Ruth Prawer Jhabvala. I started it last week when I temporarily left my bag (with my other book) at the cyber café over night. It’s nice to read a whole story before stopping. Her writing reminds me somewhat of that of Rohinton Mistry, concentrating on the unique situations and problems in Indian society and culture.

I’ve decided to go to the office and work today. I am not comfortable being at the hostel on non-school days. I don’t want to be on duty there for 16 hours with the kids, yet I don’t feel like “free play” is an option even for me. When I stop to read a book or to rest a moment, I just don’t feel like it is considered acceptable. I would rather work independently all day at the office, since that will make the day pass faster. Besides, by tomorrow I will not have been to the cyber café for 5 days. I want to go there, and I will feel less guilty about leaving early (around 2 p.m. is what I plan) if I have worked all day today (a holiday). I can’t really go after school, because there are only two hours of light left before darkness and it is a 50 minute walk each way if I go at a fast pace. There are buses, but they only run every 45 minutes or so and I am not sure where to catch the return bus or how to read it the signs to know if a bus is coming here or going elsewhere since the signs are in the local language.
_____
It’s 4 p.m. and I’m exhausted. I finished Standard (Grade) 7 math on the scope and sequence chart. Tomorrow morning I'll start Grade 5. I also spent two hours with a computer salesman getting information about expanding the number of computers here at the school. Another salesman is expected at 5:00. Although I am tired and sick, I will have to wait for him and probably spend the same amount of time with him.

My cold is starting to make me feel worse. My throat is somewhat raw, and I’ve been sneezing today. Furthermore, there is starting to be continuous drainage into my throat. I noticed the cook was still coughing at lunch from her bout with it. I may go to bed and skip dinner after the next computer salesman leaves.
_____
My headche went away after about 2 hours. We met with the other computer guy and got that out of the way. Then I barely made it to the dinner time at 8:30 without falling asleep. Again, like last night, I only ate a very small amount of food. I just had no appetite.

The entertainment while waiting for dinner was provided by one of the girls. She has lice in her hair. While sitting at the dining table studying, she spent over an hour digging for lice with her nails. Then she opened her fist to show all of us three of them she had retrieved!

No comments: