Monday, December 27, 2004

Second Christmas Day (Dec. 26)

Sunday, Dec. 26

Grethe and I had a leisurely breakfast together. During it, we began opening gifts. I had a pedometer from Morten and Helle and a gift certificate for a book from Grethe. It was wrapped with some chocolate sticks for use in hot milk to make chocolate milk. Grethe got a Fitz and Floyd Chrismtmas ornament and a burgendy knit shirt from Sue. From me, she got some Christmas stationery, some stickerjs, a photo of Arne, a Linda Ronstat CD, two videotapes, some soft socks, and a suede shirt.

I went to Jens' and Robert's apartment at 2:00, stopping in the cemetery on the way to re-light the candle on Aren's grave. They served a very nice meal of roasted duck with eggplant and zuchini. Afterwards, we had ice cream which they ate with cookies I had taken them. I also gave them a Texas calendar and a photo of Arne.

I stayed too long. I was enjoying the visit and was full from the lunch. But they made sandiches and served them. I'm surethey didn't expect me to still be there with them. I eventually left at 8:30, just after we had finished the sandwiches and some table discussion.

Monday, Jan. 27 (Part I)

Today is Arne's birthday. He would have been 63. I've always made a special effort to have a gift and dessert for him on this day each year, because he told me when we first met that his birthday was often ignored when he was young. Instead of giving him a birthday gift, relatives often gave him a Christmas gift and told him that it was for both Christmas and his birthday. I always bought fragilité as a dessert, since that was his favorite--layers of caramel cream and crunchy nougat. I usually gave him a single gift such as a shirt, a sweater, a bathrobe, etc. Today, I will visit his grave on my way to spend the afternoon and early evening with his oldest and best friend Old Grethe.

No comments: