Wednesday, May 03, 2017

Lazy Day

Wednesday, May 3, 2017--Zaragoza, Spain

All night I kept thinking about trying the salsa and olive oil on toast this morning.  And it was so good!!  I also put slices of the chorizo on it, but that didn't work so well, since biting into it often dragged the whole slice of chorizo off rather than cutting into it.  Anyway, it is a very nice breakfast dish, and I look forward to having it again tomorrow.

As I started heading out of the hotel, I noticed wet pavement and everyone carrying umbrellas.  It was supposed to be a sunny day, and it did turn that way, but much of the morning was cool with a bit of drizzle.  I walked to the Basilica, went inside again, looked at some of the Goya paintings there, and then sat and read in my book.  Then I returned to the room until late in the afternoon.

When I went out again, I headed to a park where I watched some college boys play ping pong and eventually read in my book.  Later, before returning to the hotel, I took my camera in search of some of the old shops and restaurants in this area of town that I had passed on previous outings.  There are places that have been in business for 50-100 years looking as if they have never been remodeled.  Remember the glass windows with the gold foil lettering that was popular back before the 1950s?  There are a number of places with those kinds of windows.  I ended up taking photos of the El Real Cafeteria, El Limpia Shoe Repair, Beltran Fabrics, La Alicantina Shoes, La Republicana Bar/Restaurant, Bellostas Women's Wear, Gran Zaragosa Cafe, L. Martin Blasco Jewelry and Church Items, and Montal Gourmet Foods.  

Tomorrow I move onward.  I'll be back in an apartment where I hope to do some laundry!!

No comments: