Saturday, January 10, 2015

Teotihuacan

Saturday, Jan. 10, 2015--Mexico City

I've been to the pyramids outside Mexico City at Teotihuacan several times, but Wes is here for his first visit.  Therefore, today was dedicated to going out there.  We took public transportation--the metro to the bus station on the north side of town and a bus from there.  We spent maybe 3 hours travelling and another 2 1/2 hours at the pyramids.  I was surprised to see a couple of new attractions since the last time I was there about 30 years ago with Arne.  Essentially, however, it is the same.  I decided not to climb the Pyramid of the Sun, since I have climbed it at least 2 times in the past; I sat and watched as Wes climbed it and returned.  Fortunately, I took my umbrella with me, remembering that there is no shade and that the sun is hot.  (I already have a sore nose from being in the sun too much on this trip.) 

For someone who has never seen other pyramids, this is am impressive sight.  For someone planning a trip throughout Mexico (and maybe Guatemala) to see pyramids, this should be one of the FIRST stops so that they are not disappointed.  The pyramids in the Yucatan (including Tikal in Guatemala) are much more interesting and exciting to visit.

After returning to town, we wandered through the Zona Rosa District.  Although our hotel is in the area, we have not explored it much at all.  I found that the restaurant that I used to enjoy 50 years ago, El Refugio Fonda, is still in business.  I doubt that the food is as good as it used to be.  Remember when Holiday Magazine recognized the better restaurants around the world?  This was one of them--great food at reasonable prices.  Actually, all of the Zona Rosa is rather worn looking these days.  Whereas it was the main tourist entertainment area 50-60 years ago, today it is still popular, but it has been replaced by other neighborhoods as the "in" places for tourists to stay, eat, go out for entertainment, etc., in Mexico City.

No comments: