Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Back in Boxelder for a Visit

Wednesday, Nov. 6, 2013--San Antonio to Boxelder

It's still a very long drive from San Antonio to Boxelder (which is in northeast Texas just south of Clarksville).  I left San Antonio at 8:20 and arrived at Boxelder at 16:30--8 hours and 10 minutes with very little stopping.  I pulled off the highway in West to get kolaches for lunch at 11:30, then ate them as I continued driving.  I had a sausage-cheese-jalapeno one, a pulled pork one, and a cinnamon-maple twist one.  UMMMM!  I pulled off again in Rockwall to get gasoline at Costco.  Then I detoured through Commerce briefly.  There, I drove through town to see changes--new Luigi's Restaurant, new Dollar Tree, new sporting goods store, construction to expand the student center, etc.  I went to the art gallery in the art building, saw some interesting panoramic photographs of the university and the town on the walls in the Wathena Temple art building, and saw some nice photographs on the third floor of the Journalism Building.  Before leaving campus, I met a man in the development building who showed me some artwork which has been donated to the university by one of its former students.

I arrived in Boxelder just as Judy was getting home from her quilting date with the area women.  Bob had a fire going in the fireplace.  We sat and visited for a while.  Then Bob made caipirinhas for us while Judy cooked dinner--a chicken-spaghetti-cheese casserole with a green bean-pecan-feta cheese salad and garlic toast.  Bob served his homemade muscadine wine to go with the dinner.  It was all very delicious.

Afterward, we talked more.  We discussed health issues, friends, the university in Corpus, estate planning, travel, etc.

It was a nice evening.  It's just too bad we live so far apart.  It would be good to get together more often.

Tomorrow, I will head into Oklahoma.  Bob and Judy will drive up on Friday to join me for a folk festival they will be having at Beaver's Bend State Park where I will be camping for two nights.

No comments: