Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Odds and Ends on My Last Full Day

Wednesday, Feb. 13, 2013--Managua

I can tell it is time for me to return home.  Some of the things that bother me when traveling are really starting to get onto my nerves:

1.  People throwing trash onto the ground rather than using receptacles.
2.  Drivers expecting passengers to jump or run so that the vehicles have the right of way.
3.  Drivers, especially motorcycle drivers, going out of their way to cross in FRONT of a pedestrian rather than behind him even when the pedestrian has already gone 2/3 of the way across the intersection (I guess because it is so important to be the big shot).
4.  The fact that there are no crosswalks/lights for pedestrians.
5.  Having to be careful about putting used paper in a trash can rather than down the toilet.
6.  Having to worry about which water is drinkable.  (Fortunately, the local tap water has been drinkable everywhere on this trip, although I've had to ask in each place and worry about drinking it at first.)

Today, I stayed at the hotel all day.  I have been to all but one of the major tourist sites in Managua, and the one that I missed is just a bunch of grass huts along the lakefront where people go to drink in the evenings.

I finished reading Light Fell by Evan Fallenberg.  I found it to be a much more fascinating book than the reviews by readers imply.  The reviews tend to concentrate on the gay aspect of the book.  However, it is really about family dynamics and individuals dealing with events that affect their lives.  It takes place in Israel within a conservative orthodox family with arranged marriage, extended family, rowdy kids, graduate education, religious challenges, different sides to the same story, lost love, building an acceptable life, trying to bridge gaps, family healing, etc., as topics within this short novel.  It's well written.  I gave it 3 1/2 stars out of 4.

I will be up early tomorrow for my return home.  My flight to Houston leaves at 7:39, so I have booked a taxi for 5:15.  I'll be back in San Antonio around 4:00.

No comments: