Thursday, June 28, 2012

Lazy Hot Day in El Pas

Thursday, June 28, 2012--El Paso, TX

When I went to breakfast, there was a young black soldier there who had just heard that the Supreme Court had just upheld the Affordable Care Act.  He commented that he had essentially the same medical care as Congress, but that he realized how important it is that everyone be covered by health care.  He made the comment that all the other first world nations have universal health care, and I added that many poorer nations do, too, and gave Thailand as an example.

I spent the morning exploring the old Spanish missions on this side of the Rio Grande.  There are 3 of them, and there are others on the Mexican side.  Although they are covered with smooth stucco that is painted white that makes them look different from the missions in San Antonio, inside they look just like the missions there.  The big surprise was that the last mission on the local Mission Trail, San Elizario, is part of an old pueblo that has turned into an art colony.  There is a small plaza with trees and benches, and there are several old adobe buildings that house galleries, coffee shops, restaurants, gift shops, etc.  It is a very nice place.

When I returned to the hotel, I explored the airport.  My hotel is right at the entrance to it.  I couldn't have chosen a better location for a hotel.   Within two miles there is the best mall in town, Cielo Vista, the only cinema that shows foreign and independent films, a Sam's Club, a Costco, and many other conveniences.  

Because of the heat, I went to the cinema this afternoon.  I saw the film Hysteria.  I had seen a play with a similar theme less than a month ago in San Antonio.  Although not a great film, it was entertaining.

I went over to Costco after seeing the film to take advantage of the air conditioning and the fact that they would be giving out samples.  Those filled me until the evening when I ate a light meal.

It was nice to have a slow day.  Tomorrow, I will head downtown to explore it and to see the UT El Paso campus and the interesting shopping neighborhood near it that has "finer" shops.

I'm worried about the heat.  I've read that it is hot everywhere with temperatures over 100 degrees in Denver, Montana, and other places I plan to visit.  It won't be fun to see these places if it remains that hot.  I don't think that the condo I have rented in Denver even has air conditioning.  Most homes there do not.  I was hoping that things would be cool in the mountains.  If it isn't, I'll have to alter the plans for my trip.

Walking Steps:  11,989

No comments: